Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic "bleeding"

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 01:25 PM
Default Electronic "bleeding"

Okay so here is one for all you elec techs out there.After agreeing to purchase a 2002 2.5 crd lx from a dealer (yes i know! lol), it has taken the best part of a week and a half to find out that the abs control unit was causing the dash lights to remain on (abs/brake).I was already aware of this problem and what the fixes are, besides the rest of the car is in very good order and the chap said in front of witnesses that he would fix the fault before i bought it and give me a 12 month mot.Fair enough i thought as i am not going to be paying for it only the price advertised, just let me know when it is ready.Fix 1) He replaced sensors with no joy.Fix 2)Diagnostic check code said it was the control module for abs.He getting a little sweaty now as a new module will cost an arm and a leg.He ordered a 2nd hand one from 24/7 spares and the auto electrician he uses had the part arrive a day ago so shouldn't take long to fit (in theory). He rang me tonight to say that the module has been fitted and the guy has told him that it needs to be "bled". Is this true that an electronic unit has to be bled before it can be tested? I have never heard of this before and would like to know if my new fellow chrysler owners can impart their wisdom to me please!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Default Lol

Well i guess my nice mr car dealer knows jack about cars.Of course you bleed the brake system but i guess what the auto electrician was trying to tell him was that the system needs to be electronically purged as in this article on a cadillac http://www.justanswer.com/car/7h642-...ol-module.html .I did wonder what the hell he was talking about citing the module needs to be bled!!!

Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 PM

There is nothing to "bleed"* on a microprocessor board. Of course people do have slang words for procedures various. He could mean he was erasing stored codes, so long as he has the equipment to do this. The simple fact that the board has been out of service means that a hard reset will have done itself in minutes after power disconnection.
Quinteq has posted some ABS fixes, together with explanations, worth a look I'd say.

Leedsman.
* I've heard of "memory-bleed" in RAMs and DRAMs etc. as a fault condition, but you can't fix that -- you must replace the bleedin' chip.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by Leedsman
There is nothing to "bleed"* on a microprocessor board. Of course people do have slang words for procedures various. He could mean he was erasing stored codes, so long as he has the equipment to do this. The simple fact that the board has been out of service means that a hard reset will have done itself in minutes after power disconnection.
Quinteq has posted some ABS fixes, together with explanations, worth a look I'd say.

Leedsman.
* I've heard of "memory-bleed" in RAMs and DRAMs etc. as a fault condition, but you can't fix that -- you must replace the bleedin' chip.
Thanks for that.I'm hopeful that the auto electrician knows what he is up to.Besides like i said in the previous posting the dealer has the headache of paying as he has to provide a roadworthy car, all i pay is the screen price of which i will be reminding him!

Old 02-27-2014, 02:08 AM
tfb

on most vehicles the ABS module is a combination of the hydraulic pump and processor, so when they talk about changing the ABS unit there are hydraulic and electrical connects - and as the other said the hydraulic system needs to be bled afterwards

Regards
Richard

Old 02-27-2014, 03:17 PM

Ahhhh, I remember one like this on here very recently where the guy fixed his ABS by bleeding the brakes. Emmm. I added that he must have touched of did something to cable/sensor head where he was bleeding to fix it.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:18 PM

Ditto. Changing the Antilock BRAKE System (ABS) controller requires you bleed air out of the brake lines to prevent the brake pedal from going to the floor during braking. Have to use a scanner during the process.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:53 AM

Thanks to all who have posted on this.A quick update for you all, the dealer phoned and confessed he did not know what he was talking about when it comes to tech and so would i like to speak to the auto electrician myself.Quite refreshing i thought, so this i duly did.What i discovered was that after he had fitted the new module and bled the system he managed to lose the warning light but as soon as they move the car it comes back thus pointing back to the sensors which were supposed to have been sorted by the original garage used by the dealer! I pointed out to him when i first saw the car that this was most likely the problem.So being as he has been straight with me about the car (unheard of really) i think he should know that his so called mechanic probably didn't know what the problem was and passed it on when they said they had changed the sensors.The auto electrician had said the sensors had not been changed.Result of all this is that they have sourced sensors and should be fitting them today then it's a case of re-mot, valet then at last i can enjoy my first voyager.I can't wait!!!!!! pic to follow

Old 02-28-2014, 02:59 AM

Old 02-28-2014, 03:14 AM

Oh well looks like my link didn't work.There appears to be no button to post a photo to the conversation without having to have the pic on a web page.Guess you'll just have to use your imagination.It's a nice shade of green with scorpion alloys and extra chrome bits as well as other upgrades inside.We run a business and have family plus dog so it looks the ideal machine.Hope to be able to post pics at some point!! Thanks for all the feedback guys it's appreciated!

Quick Reply: Electronic "bleeding"