Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Engine Cut-Out on Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Default Engine Cut-Out on Acceleration

I had to do a 250 mile round trip last week, consisting mainly of motorway and dual carriageway. What should have taken 2 hours each way actually took 3 hours because of roadworks on the dual carriageways and phantom roadworks on the motorways. 50 MPH Average Speed Cameras but not a workman in sight!!!
On my return journey I jumped at an opportunity to overtake a 98 year old female driver (well she had that style of driving) but my engine cut out at the crucial moment so I had to make a dive for the hard shoulder.
The car started again almost immediately and I haven't experienced any further problems since.
I had previously done an oil change including new oil filter, fuel filter and air intake filter together with a replacement oil cooler (the less said about that the better). At the time the engine cut out the water temperature was just below normal, diesel in the tank was over half full and I didn't get any warning lights displayed.
Can any forum guru's throw any light on this?
I am a little concerned because we're taking the grandkids to France on Sunday.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 AM
tfb

Fairly sure it's going to turn out to be air leaking into the fuel system, though any other part of the fuel system could be faulty.

As you have changed the fuel filter recently I'd check that it was tight (not too tight though) and that the water drain tap is tight too.

Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to split the oil cooler?

Regards
Richard

Old 07-20-2015, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by tfb
Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to split the oil cooler?

Regards
Richard
I couldn't undo the filter with the tools I had because of the restricted access so I ended up using the 'good old tried and trusted method' of hammering a screwdriver through the filter. The screwdriver slipped and put a small split in the side of the cooler, just at the base of where the filter screws onto it.

I Ended having to go to Machine Mart to buy a chain wrench anyway.

I could probably get the cooler welded up by somebody proficient in aluminium welding but I managed to get a second hand replacement for £100.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:28 AM

The usual culprit for cutting out under hard acceleration is a cracked fuel filter housing. Its made of plastic and contains a heater element From what I can gather this is what happens. The original connector plug overheats the terminals a bit and causes a hairline crack in the plastic between. This causes a very small air/fuel leak which can go undetected untill you put your foot down like I did on a motorway slip road. I backed off and she picked up again but it could have been nasty if overtaking. Made me a bit nervous for a while and carried on with the lead weight removed from my right foot and all seemed ok. All came to a head when I necked the fuel tank and parked on a steep hill and the little air leak became a little fuel leak. Phoned my local Chrysler dealer and they weren't at all surprised as its a common problem and had the filter asm and wiring loom/connector on the shelf. Problem sorted be it just over £300 worth.

Parts used
00K68043086AB---WIRING LOOM (FUEL FILTER HOUSING)
000K4721225AE---FUEL FILTER HOUSING RG (COMPLETE FILTER)
Hope this helps
Regards John

Attached Thumbnails Engine Cut-Out on Acceleration-068.jpg  
Old 07-21-2015, 09:53 AM

Thanks John, that's useful information.
Is the fuel filter housing what the fuel filter screws into? I fitted a new fuel filter last week. I didn't overtighten it, just tightened by hand, but it was very tight on removal, I had to use a strap and ratchet to undo the existing filter.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:56 PM

Fault is certainly not enough pressure in fuel rail when its required by engine on booting it to overtake. How about codes as there may be a clue to pressure out of sync at a sensor or pressure valve.
Not had one of these faults for a few weeks now, now lets not hope its contagious.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by AlanC
Thanks John, that's useful information.
Is the fuel filter housing what the fuel filter screws into? I fitted a new fuel filter last week. I didn't overtighten it, just tightened by hand, but it was very tight on removal, I had to use a strap and ratchet to undo the existing filter.
Hi AlanC
The answer is yes. Its also got the primer pump on top which should be solid. If you can pump it there's a bit of air about. Also the pump diaphragm can go and let a bit of air in. Also pull out the connector and see if there's a bit of diesel in there. Put "Engine cutting out" into search as there's loads about this on the Forum.
Regards John.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:14 AM

Thanks John
The only code I've got is P0487 which I think is EGR related.Which connector are you suggesting I pull out?

When I replaced the fuel filter I noticed what looks like a bleed screw near the filter body. Should this be used to bleed the system? I just used the primer pump to get diesel back into the filter.

Last edited by AlanC; 07-23-2015 at 04:17 AM.