Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust smoke from passanger side of engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:08 AM

It's a lot of guess. I think your glowplugs is failling.

If a injector has realy bad leakback you will get a low rail pressure error.

How is your leakback from injectors ?

How high is rail pressure in idle ?

How is you prop. valve running in idle high end or low end ?

If you pressure valve on the rail is leaking your prop. valve is running high.

If it a bad spray hmm , pull out all injectors and and connect them to rail and connect wire. And turn engine and see spray pattern (por man's way) watch out don't stand in line of fire it's very high pressure.

Common rail system is quit simple , it's just so much easy if you got a DRB tester.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:26 AM

HI I have only just changed the glow Plugs 2 weeks ago 3/4 were ok but I changed for new anyway I also checked all the supply to them it was all fine, I checked my oil level and it seems high but I will change the oil the weekend and see if its the previous owner overfilling or if the diesel is leaking into the bores.
The DRB machine you mention is this the same as an OBD2 Code scanner? I have access to one of these through my neighbour.
I plan to check the returns the weekend and see if I have issues.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:53 PM

You already have an ODB2 scanner, search this site for > key dance <

A DRB III is an excellent old school scanner and harder to find than rocking horse cack, if you did find one in good knick they will still cost you in the region of £1000 last time I noticed one go on ebay, as far as I'm aware they are so rare even main stealers share them for example 1 scanner per 50 dealers. The STARSCAN and the StarMobile superseded them, the Witech is the new kid on the block, and costs a couple of thousand dollars. Best of luck.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:16 AM
Default RG diesel Bad cold start

Originally Posted by Adrian14
HI I have only just changed the glow Plugs 2 weeks ago 3/4 were ok but I changed for new anyway I also checked all the supply to them it was all fine, I checked my oil level and it seems high but I will change the oil the weekend and see if its the previous owner overfilling or if the diesel is leaking into the bores.
The DRB machine you mention is this the same as an OBD2 Code scanner? I have access to one of these through my neighbour.
I plan to check the returns the weekend and see if I have issues.
If you can't see prop.valve value or rail pressure

I would try the injector leak back test.

I all ways wondering how mutch engine oil it takes , My 2.5CRD only take 4,75 -5 litters the manual said 6,5 litters . My engine run very unstable if I fill 6 - 6,5 litters. If I ad around 5 litter it's okay.

Been running 300000km with 5 litter oil 5/40 Elf NF900.

Better be a little low on oil in a turbo engine then to high.

DRB III it's handy there is so manny parameters to look at , I never try the OBD tester I got DRB III why settle with sec.best.

Bad start could be.

Air flow not right , prop valve stuck or worn. rail pressure not right.

Air in fuel line ,(bad filter housing) I once made a clear fuel line to the Hi.pressure pump to see if we had air in the line (a lot) turn out the filter housing had a leak. Manny seals is tight to pressure but not to vaccum.

If you got white smoke it could be a injector leak or wors a headgasket.

You need to find root case to white smoke / bad cold start. It's likly your injectors but there could be another cause why inj. is worn(bad spray pattern) or leaking when left over night.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:45 AM

The amount I've heard that white smoke is due to injectors is a myth as its purely down to no preheaters and a cold engine. White smoke is not fully burnt fuel in the exhaust fumes. I could show you film of 1700hp and 2700hp diesel engine loco's, 4/5/6 in a line, starting up from cold in a frosty winter morning and guess what, its white smoke, not black or grey. These engines have no preheaters or electronics until the later engines with full electronic control came along. Black smoke was made by opening up the power controller whereby injecting more fuel which didn't fully get burnt. Check this up at a Railway Station and see what I mean.

Old 02-13-2016, 11:48 AM
Default tough day

OK not the best day lol
1, egr pipe fixed with quik steel seems to last according to the reviews but car stinks now hope it goes soon as can't let the wife in it like that lol.
2, i thought this had fixed the exhaust gases or so it seemed but then realised it had 2 leaks second one was the joint between the turbo and manifold 2 back nuts were loose tightened those but still get a smell under the bonnet massively reduced but still there, looked everywhere not a clue.
3, did leak back test on Fuel pressure relief valve it leaks on cranking and is a steady flow on tick over, I am hoping this is my starting issue as I like tinkering with cars but I also like to see a benefit and this car is slowly beating me lol.
So any words of wisdom and motivation would be appreciated.
thanks
Ade

Old 02-13-2016, 02:45 PM

If it leaks on cranking the pressure in the rail is not being attained, pressure sensor notices this and sends signal to ECU to stop injectors injecting. How much should this leak off be at tick over depends on pressure in rail. Simple option is to check side by side with another engine my confirm this. Either that of connect test equipment.
Sounds like you need a new relief valve as looks like you've found your starting issue.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:10 AM

The amount of fuel in the leak back should be equal on all injectors. A coffe cup in around 60 sec. aprox. The amount is not so important it's the different.

It dosen't make sens to messure when cranking you must crank a long time. Idle 900-1000 RPM when you will get true reading.

White smoke in unburnt diesel and with working plowplugs it could for sure be a injector with a bad spray pattern..

If back leak is to high your rail pressure could be to low and injector won't work. Common rail injector still work like a old style injector to over come the spring load inside .

Old 02-14-2016, 12:09 PM

OK so now I am confused, I was under the impression the relief valve at the end was only supposed to open when it exceeds the recommended pressure in the rail (such as letting off after heavy acceleration ) which is surely not achieved during cranking and tick over, now diesel voyager you are saying it should be leaking on tick over a coffee cup worth.
can anyone clarify before I spend £100 tomorrow.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:14 PM

I would say get a new pressure relief valve (to start with). None starting issues and shutting down under load have been accrued to this valve. And Injectors with too much fuel leak off. The thing is you are getting somewhere that looks to an end. Either that or stick it in a garage and get a loan.

Quick Reply: Exhaust smoke from passanger side of engine bay