Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Exhaust smoke from passanger side of engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:07 AM
Default Exhaust smoke from passanger side of engine bay

Hi everyone, I have just purchased a 2.8crd 2008 Grand voyager and I have been sold a few problems lol
1, it does not want to start from cold and it takes forever once fried up no further starting issues all day.
1, when its cold it has excessive exhaust smoke coming from the passengers side of the engine bay. once it warms up it almost clears.

I am not to familiar with these vehicle's so hoping for some direction from this site.

Thanks in advance Ade

Old 01-21-2016, 03:20 PM

Regarding the poor starting get the hot plugs checked out. As too the passenger side smoke, before checking exhaust manifold, check the Auxiliary heater under passenger side floor for this smoke.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:20 PM

Thanks will feed back and let you know with the plugs, regarding the smoke there appears to be a lot of soot in the area of the bulk head too so would this still be the auxiliary heater.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:11 PM

Wrong post

Last edited by QinteQ; 01-24-2016 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Wrong post
Old 01-24-2016, 02:51 AM

Update, changed the glow plugs all were OK except the 4th one I am guessing who ever serviced it didn't want to strip the alternater off I can understand why lol now starts fine fingers crossed but still cannot identify the smoke under the bonnet as it's to thick when you rev it to see or breath lol, are they prone to leaking from the manifold on the passage side at all.
thanks again in advance for you guidence very much appreciated.

Ade

Old 01-24-2016, 10:30 AM
tfb

I wonder if you have a similar problem to what I have just had, where the EGR pipe had fractured, though mine gave a lot of noise but very little smoke.

Your starting issue may also be fuel pressure related, as common rail diesels are a lot easier to start with faulty glow plugs than a traditional diesel.
If you still have starting issues after replacing the glow plug then next thing to look at will be how long it takes the fuel pressure to rise

Richard

Old 01-24-2016, 02:59 PM

Was just thinking same thing Richard its like your repair. As to rail pressure issues here we go again. There's the sensor, relief valve, drain off hoses, injectors, etc, etc...
Where's the puller Scotsman 4th. Lets get hands dirty.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:17 PM

Hi both as I mentioned the cold starting seems to be cured and drives great with no smoke or hesitation have left it overnight 14 hours between starts and no issue if the fuel pressure was dropping I would have thought that would have shown it.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:36 AM
Default oh no

OK I found the leak it was a split ecr pipe fixed and welded so that's gone away, car ran fine no problem yesterday started and away then this morning would not start again just cranking over, gutted now.
started it with easy start one little squib and away it went. Again no starting problems again through out today.
Any ideas where to spend my money next please need confidence before I give it the wife and 3 kids to use.
thanks in advance for any answers.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Where's the puller Scotsman 4th. Lets get hands dirty.
Unfortunately lost in a motorbike accident that took out the garage.

Quick Reply: Exhaust smoke from passanger side of engine bay