Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Extremely high fuel consumption no obvious reason ?

Old 08-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Default Extremely high fuel consumption no obvious reason ?

Hi, i just bought 2003 chrysler grand voyager AWD 3.3 v6 limited
the van has only 50 000 miles on it (real) has been driven by the U.S. ambassy here in Bulgaria. but was sitting stationary for past 8 months.
It consumes 11.8 MPG city and 13.7 highway ... (very easy on the throttle) witch is A lot more than it should be ( i have been to USA 6 times and have driven voyagers and dodge caravans a lot and i know it is far from normal)
i changed the engine oil and filter, air filter, transmission oil and filter and both differentials oil, all brake pads (did make sure wheels are spinning freely)

checked the ECU for errors and there is only one error for the EVAP solenoid valve, but no other fuel and emission related errors like MAP , oxygen sensors or similar,
when i step on the throttle it revs and sounds good but it doesn't goes like it should be it is like something is holding it back , and around 5500 rpm it just stops to revs more .
tire pressure is ok and there is no uneven tire wear..
i didn't changed spark plugs

checked the car in the local chrysler dealer and they told me everything looks fine ... except the evap error but they said it has nothing to do with consumption.
.. i tried just for test - very very easy driving outside the city without A/C and with constant speed of 55-60 mph ... and barely managed 14 MPG .......

Old 08-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

are u doing your own math or using the over head indicator?

Old 08-13-2013, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
are u doing your own math or using the over head indicator?
No i only trust: full tank ... drive .. then refill

Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 AM

Check for binding brakes. Check for bad wheel bearing(s). Does the engine achieve normal temperature, or is it running cool? Remove a spark plug. Is it sooty? It should be a khaki color, pale brown. Run your fingers gently over every tyre. Is there a sign of "feathering". Check wheel alignment if you can. Normally a front-wheel drive toes out slightly, sometimes no toe out or in. A straight plank and some fiddling with the steering wheel can show up misalignment. Not easy, but check for any exhaust/muffler blockage, inc. catalysers/afterburners. Is there a smell of petrol indicating a fuel leak? Faulty lambda sensors are famous for causing heavy fuel consumption in petrol motors. A faulty engine temperature sensor (which is a simple thermistor of the negative temp. coeffiecient type) can make the ECU continue in the cold-rich mode.
Plenty there to keep you busy. Happy hunting.

Leedsman.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:02 AM

I am having the same problems here, did you find the answer to your problem?

I have checked for binding brakes with brake expert - no problems. The engine achieves normal temperature,is not running cool. I have checked wheel alignment at suspension experts even purchasing and fitting a camber adjustment kit and had it installed. I have checked exhaust/muffler at exhaust experts, repaired and now all good. Both upstream and downstream O2 sensors have been replaced. Air intake temp. sensor was faulty and replaced. Engine coolant sensor was replaced. None of these replacements/repairs has made any difference to the fuel consumption. Fuel consumption is calculated at the pump. Kilometres divided by litres. converting to 20 litres per hundred or in US galons: 12 MPG.

Any advice?