Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

First electrical problem.. :-(

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:46 PM
Default First electrical problem.. :-(

Hi guys,

We have had problem free driving since collecting our 55 plate GV CRD Limited in February, it really has been a pleasure to drive.

But it now looks like we've been struck down with the dreaded battery problems...

Now, I hope this can be attributed to a clanger we dropped on Friday and that it just needs charging, but here goes..

On Friday lunchtime my wife and I were visiting another one of the islands here on Orkney and had joined a queue to catch a ferry. We were about 35minutes early so turned the engine off but left the overhead DVD player on to keep the kids entertained.... When the ferry arrived the car took quite a bit of persuasion to start. We obviously attributed this to our stupidity at leaving the DVD on without the engine running..

For the rest of Friday and also Saturday the car started no problem everytime, so we thought no more about it.

Tonight, my wife has been to collect our daughter from the Town centre, about 7 miles away. She beeped the horn outside my daughters friends house and the engine was still running. My daughter got in and they drove about 50 yards down the street, when the battery light came on and the car cut out.

I went straight through with my van and some jump leads and the car started straight away, but drove on in 'Limp Home' mode.

The car cut out again twice driving the 7 miles back and the dials and lights seemed to be controlled by a poltergeist on the way back, coming on and off and rising and falling. The car wouldnt go above about 40MPH all the way back..

Can anyone offer me any form of advice as to what the matter could be and what my next move should be?

The battery is a Bosch after market one. It is a : Bosch S5 12V 750A 74Ah.

Last edited by Merlecollins; 06-15-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:32 PM

I would take a close look at the alternator. A quick check? Should get 13.5 to 14.5 vdc at the battery posts with the engine running. Should get nearly the same with all the accessories on. Should see 12.1+vdc with the engine off. If not, you may have a bad connection or need a replacement. Have the battery load tested.

The Orkney's. Wow, you were way up there. Spent some years with the USAF stationed in Norfolk. Made it to Scottland a few times but only as far north as the Inverness area. Did some hiking in Glencoe. Absolutely gorgeous but oh the weather.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 06-15-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:36 PM

How old is your battery? Faulty batteries can cause all sorts of lights to come up on the dash. Get it checked out. Also, is it a gel battery? I was told recently that gel batteries are better for voyagers.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
I would take a close look at the alternator. A quick check? Should get 13.5 to 14.5 vdc at the battery posts with the engine running. Should get nearly the same with all the accessories on. Should see 12.1+vdc with the engine off. If not, you may have a bad connection or need a replacement. Have the battery load tested.

The Orkney's. Wow, you were way up there. Spent some years with the USAF stationed in Norfolk. Made it to Scottland a few times but only as far north as the Inverness area. Did some hiking in Glencoe. Absolutely gorgeous but oh the weather.
Thanks Raptor, I have a multi meter but have absolutely no idea to do what you have suggested... Will I get a video on YouTube of what to do?

We live here mate, have done for 6 years now, incredibly beautiful place and the weather is really no worse than Newcastle where we originate from

Old 06-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Oxford
How old is your battery? Faulty batteries can cause all sorts of lights to come up on the dash. Get it checked out. Also, is it a gel battery? I was told recently that gel batteries are better for voyagers.
Im not sure of the battery age to be honest Oxford...

I just said to my wife it may be that it's not powerful enough.. It's the first time really that we've left anything electrical running when the engine has been off..perhaps that abuse has flattened it a bit, it's only had a few 8 mile trips since we did it.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:42 PM

The dials going Muppets like is the giveaway per past faults as to the battery. I'm sure you've read Richards issue on this.
But saying that I take it you've done a hard reset...

Old 06-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
The dials going Muppets like is the giveaway per past faults as to the battery. I'm sure you've read Richards issue on this.
But saying that I take it you've done a hard reset...
Nope to both...

Help me Goggs, i'm reaching out here...

Old 06-15-2014, 02:47 PM

As to gel batteries its known in Motorhome circles that acid batteries are best for starting and gel, not for instant torque but for giving off power over a longer time as in habitation lighting etc.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:51 PM

Nope to hard reset, god what do you do up the top of the UK, forby fishing.
Disconnect neg lead on battery for half an hour and refit, that's hard reset or reboot.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Nope to hard reset, god what do you do up the top of the UK, forby fishing.
Disconnect neg lead on battery for half an hour and refit, that's hard reset or reboot.
Cheers

I will attend to this at once.

Quick Reply: First electrical problem.. :-(