Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Front suspension woes

Old 09-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Default Front suspension woes

Just thought I'd share my current situation and see if anybody has had a similar experience.

The front off side suspension strut top mount shattered on my 2007 Grand voyager yesterday so it has been off to be repaired today at a local garage (Not main dealer)

They've just called me to say they are struggling to get the coil spring compressed to fit it all back together as their spring compressor is not man enough for the job. They have even been out and bought a bigger spring compressor that still can't do it. They called up the local Chrysler dealer in Milton Keynes who apparently have said they will not do suspension work on a Grand voyager there as they had a similar problem about a year ago. They have given the garage undertaking my work the details of another Chrysler dealer in Northampton to call to see if they can do it.

Top marks so far to the garage doing the work, as they are desperately trying to sort it for me but I can't help but be a little upset the local main dealer can't even do it.

Has anybody had a similar experience / know if this is a common issue or am I just unlucky with the garages around me?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Hate to say this but how did your garage get the strut loose in the first place? The coil spring must be compressed to allow removal of the mounting bolts "safely" Of course they could use crow bars, 2x4's etc. Or even just drive the mounting bolts out and hope for the best! Putting things back using the same methods would just be pretty darn difficult! Spring compressors are just brackets and bolts and I really can't picture the kind of difficulty they are having.. I have an 09 T&C and took a look under it to see.. Looks pretty exposed and simple to me?! I know this is no answer or help for you so I suspect your garage is doing all they can and your dealership folks just don't car to be very helpful to the local garage folks.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:17 PM
tfb

Here are the pages from the manual, it doesn't say anything about a super-sized spring compressor being needed.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw65...it?usp=sharing

Regards
Richard

Old 09-17-2013, 03:04 AM

I did this job a few months back on my 2005 GV.
It was tough but in the end the only way I could compress the spring enough to get the top nut on was to use 2 sets of spring compressors (i.e. 4 staggered around the spring)
The top mount was only £30, but I had to spent out on another set of spring compressors.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 AM

**UPDATE**

Local garage trot off to the other main Chrysler dealer 20 miles up the road in Northampton with all the parts to re construct the strut. They all heave and heave together but eventually give up as they can't do i there either.

Local garage find a bloke via ebay that can supply a second hand complete strut with spring already in place and ready to fit. Ebay bloke paid via paypal and is now shipping out item to local garage for thursday delivery.

FML!!