Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Front Tire Tread Wear Question:

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:59 AM
Default Front Tire Tread Wear Question:

I notice that both of my T&C front tires are worn more to the outside. The van cruises beautiful at high speeds and does not pull one way or the other.
My wife does lots of local driving so could that outer tread wear be from just local turns?
Also I am always on top of the tire pressure so that could be ruled out.

Last edited by Pop45; 05-04-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:34 PM

Looks like you've got too much Toe In, probably from hitting a kerb OR Suspension wear which would rattle like hell. I'd go for Toe In so you'll need to get it tracked.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:32 AM

More tyre wear on the outside of the front wheels is regarded as normal on most vehicles and has been as long as I can remember (around 50 years). Have a chat with your local tyre depot to see if there may be something different about GVs.
I always assumed it was due to steering the front wheels this way and that, and the slight rolling of the tyre on the rim with sideways forces.
The usual tyre test is to run your fingers gently across the tread feeling for "feathering" of the tread, looking for sideways lifting of the tread pattern caused by misalignment, bad accident-repair, bashing the wheel against the pavement edge during parking etc. If it's perfectly smooth and the tyres aren't unusually hot after a run you've prob. nothing to worry about.
BTW, when buying a car new-to-you, the above fingers test is so easy it's almost mandatory...

Leedsman

Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 PM

A 4 wheel alignment and suspension inspection would be my first move. Short of that frequent tire rotations will minimize the wear.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:41 PM

50% off [UK] 'wheel alignment' voucher here

Old 05-10-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
A 4 wheel alignment and suspension inspection would be my first move. Short of that frequent tire rotations will minimize the wear.
Turns out it was only the front passenger side tire affected, so I got the wheel alignment since I was buying 4 new tires anyway. It's amazing how expensive 4 new tires cost.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:04 PM

Asda sells good ones for around £95. Then pick where you want them fitted.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 PM

Doing most of the braking mid-corner can be very hard on outside edges. When we lived in the UK 20 years ago, my wife tore up two sets of left fronts diving into roundabouts with too much speed.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 AM

Ah roundabouts. Remember them well. Wish we had them in the States. They make a whole lot more sense then endless stop lights and all that wasted gas.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:48 AM
pob

It's a heavy car, front wheel drive. My front tyres wear on the outside, but to me it was just normal wear pattern, but the rear tyres seem to wear very heavily on the outside edge aswell.
There's plenty of tread left in the middle and inner edge, but the outer edge is nearly smooth.

Still legal though:- "At least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band in the centre 3/4 of the tread and around the entire circumference"

Quick Reply: Front Tire Tread Wear Question: