Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Default Fuel Pump Replacement

First thanks to all who post here. I have learned much and saved a lot of money.

Recently I had to replace the fuel pump in my 97 Grand Caravan (I know, this is a Chrysler forum, but read on). Everything I read pointed to removing the tank. This was bad news because it meant removing several old hoses (filler tube, EVAP lines, etc.) which made the job even worse (and more expensive because they can crack during removal).

The good news is that I was able to replace the fuel pump with the tank still installed in the vehicle. The key was making a low profile spanner wrench which allowed removal of the plastic lock ring while the fuel tank was still strapped to the vehicle. This link has detailed step-by-step instructions, pictures and a video;
Fuel Pump Lock Ring Wrench Socket for 2004 1995 Chrysler Dodge Plymouth | eBay

The wrench I made fits the lock ring on 1996-2000 Town & Country too.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 PM

Interesting looking tool, never thought there would be one.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Interesting looking tool, never thought there would be one.
- 35 minutes for a 'shill' to make 6 money making duplicate spam threads in all areas
- still maybe some one person will benefit

Old 07-19-2014, 06:15 PM

All,

Thanks for the replies.

Additional for "QinteQ",

I'm sorry you were offended but I don't understand your "shill" comment. I'll never make a profit from this endeavor (especially after accounting for my time, much less the equipment involved in making it). Perhaps that is why this tool wasn't available when I needed one last month.

To recap; I needed a tool to make this repair easier. Figuring I wasn't alone, I designed one in Solidworks, made a dozen and tried to get the word out to others (via the forums where this device works). I'm fortunate to have access to equipment which most don't. Providing this tool helps them way more than it helps me.

Regarding my grand "money making" plan, I've sold a few this month (to folks in OH, CO, DE). Each time the person on the other end exchanged emails with me and was very happy to have it. Read my feedback on eBay if you want to see for yourself. Its on Amazon too if you want to see more comments, but buy it on eBay because its cheaper there (Amazon takes twice the percentage as eBay).

I hope you take this as intended (friendly discussion), but that sounds like a "win-win" to me (and I'm being generous in describing my end as a win - I would need to sell hundreds of these before I would notice any "profit"). The negative spin you cast upon me via your "shill" comment is disappointing. A "shill" typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that they are an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom they are secretly working. I did no such thing. I totally disclosed my role up front.

How is my post "spam"? The only people who will see my posts are those who search their forum for "fuel pump replacement". In my humble opinion, spam is when I show up uninvited. If I don't spend the time posting in their forum, they never hear about it.

I hope you don't expect people to make things and then give them away for free. If you do, good luck with that. History is filed with examples of how flawed that expectation is (including your own country). On the other hand, if people want to, when they choose to, more power to them. I do it myself plenty. Its called charity. But I don't presume to criticize others when they decide differently. Instead I get up off my rear and do something about it.

Since it wasn't available when I needed it, I guess all those who preceded me chose not to make what they used available to others. I certainly wasn't the first to need a new fuel pump. Many people waved off the lucrative opportunity you suspect I'm hoarding. After sinking the time involved, I totally understand why!

Best wishes and happy motoring.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1997DodgeGrandCaravanES
All,

Thanks for the replies.

Additional for "QinteQ",

I'm sorry you were offended but I don't understand your "shill" comment. I'll never make a profit from this endeavor (especially after accounting for my time, much less the equipment involved in making it). Perhaps that is why this tool wasn't available when I needed one last month.

To recap; I needed a tool to make this repair easier. Figuring I wasn't alone, I designed one in Solidworks, made a dozen and tried to get the word out to others (via the forums where this device works). I'm fortunate to have access to equipment which most don't. Providing this tool helps them way more than it helps me.

Regarding my grand "money making" plan, I've sold a few this month (to folks in OH, CO, DE). Each time the person on the other end exchanged emails with me and was very happy to have it. Read my feedback on eBay if you want to see for yourself. Its on Amazon too if you want to see more comments, but buy it on eBay because its cheaper there (Amazon takes twice the percentage as eBay).

I hope you take this as intended (friendly discussion), but that sounds like a "win-win" to me (and I'm being generous in describing my end as a win - I would need to sell hundreds of these before I would notice any "profit"). The negative spin you cast upon me via your "shill" comment is disappointing. A "shill" typically refers to someone who purposely gives onlookers the impression that they are an enthusiastic independent customer of a seller (or marketer of ideas) for whom they are secretly working. I did no such thing. I totally disclosed my role up front.

How is my post "spam"? The only people who will see my posts are those who search their forum for "fuel pump replacement". In my humble opinion, spam is when I show up uninvited. If I don't spend the time posting in their forum, they never hear about it.

I hope you don't expect people to make things and then give them away for free. If you do, good luck with that. History is filed with examples of how flawed that expectation is (including your own country). On the other hand, if people want to, when they choose to, more power to them. I do it myself plenty. Its called charity. But I don't presume to criticize others when they decide differently. Instead I get up off my rear and do something about it.

Since it wasn't available when I needed it, I guess all those who preceded me chose not to make what they used available to others. I certainly wasn't the first to need a new fuel pump. Many people waved off the lucrative opportunity you suspect I'm hoarding. After sinking the time involved, I totally understand why!

Welcome to the forum 1997DodgeGrandCaravanES, you could apply to advertise here and pay an appropriate fee for the privileged use of this forum as a vehicle for making money. Contact the moderators, I'm sure they will be happy to accept your financial contribution[s] as they already do from other advertisers of warez on this site .. .. that support this site.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the link.

As I assume you know, sites such as this get their primary support from the volume of people who visit it. Absent that, there are no advertisers. Welcoming all input is a key aspect of the business model, as site volume is built one member at a time. They only exist because they bring together the novice and expert, the amateur and pro, the junior member and senior member, for a niche topic, in numbers not possible prior to web forums.

The vast majority who generate content for this site are volunteering their time. Why? For an array of reasons, but in general people are responding to three levels of motivation when they volunteer; self-serving, relational and belief (more here; http://www.volunteerpower.com/articles/Why.asp). The proprietors knew this when they started the site, and they welcome all. Their desire for higher volume trumps tidy content. If they (or their agents the moderators) want to curtail content from new contributors such as I, then that is obviously their prerogative.

Now obviously they also seek to collect incremental revenue from advertisers (via the method you kindly linked - which I did not know about - thanks). But like most things in life, these situations are not black or white, rather a scale of gray (or do you prefer "grey" over there?). The established vendors, who derive their very existence from that activity, are definitely black (profit oriented), and should use it. I don't derive my existence from the hypothetical "money making" you alleged. I never will. I'm so close to white you can't tell the difference. Nor will the big boys ever make this tool (too specialized, insufficient volume so no payback, etc.). Entities absent profits (like me) typically don't buy advertising.

Your preference means nothing happens (in this case), unless it comes from the titans of industry (they've had years and nothing did). I would rather contribute content (YouTube video of how I replaced my fuel pump;
) and help others from the bottom up. If someone thinks my tool will help them, they wouldn't expect that I eat the shipping cost. My other costs are just that, valid for recapture. Charging a below market price seems reasonable and consistent with the purpose of our community.

Its a DIY forum. Given the choice, I would choose to incubate and support the little guy rather than suppress non-titan content. I suspect our hosts understand that those little guys sometimes grow up into grays or blacks. Meanwhile it serves their interests to allow off-white posts. More content such as mine is more reason for people to visit, which brings advertisers to the site. See, I am helping to support the site.

So why do I mention all of the preceding? Its 100% for you. Perhaps a review of The Golden Rule of Forum Posting is needed;
If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

This doesn't mean that people can't disagree with other people, but it does mean that everyone who wishes to post is required to go out of their way to make sure that they are being constructive and positive. We are a forum, a place for discussing ideas, and anything that doesn't contribute to the business of doing that is unproductive and unwelcome.

Was your original reply, wherein you labeled me a "shill", constructive and positive for other members? I obviously think not. Nor was it, in my humble opinion, accurate.

Perhaps upon reflection you might concur. Nonetheless, I welcome your comments and I will endeavor to learn from same.

As an aside, you might notice that throughout the entirety of my voluminous replies I never once cast aspersions your way. You've posted twice and declined to use either opportunity to retract yours.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM

Did I miss something? The tool will loosen the lock ring with the tank up just as the current tool will with the tank down but, you still have to lower the aft end of the tank to have enough clearance to remove the pump like we all do correct.

I use a strap wrench.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 07-21-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 PM

The fuel tank in my '97 Grand Caravan is held in place by 2 straps which run from the driver side to the passenger side. I was able to remove the fuel pump by loosening the fuel tank strap bolts on just the passenger side, while supporting the tank from below. Total downward movement was less than 2". There are some pictures at the link above which show this.

Since the fuel tank and the lock ring are plastic, I didn't want to risk cracking the tank from the concentrated load a strap wrench delivers (at the pivot point where the strap wrench handle makes contact with the fuel pump lock ring - gently try using one with your finger under the strap at the lever contact point). I'm glad it worked for you, but I figured my luck would be the opposite, and then I would have an even bigger job (new fuel tank, hoses, etc.). Hence the tool, which only applies a tangent force to the tabs on the lock ring.

Best wishes and happy motoring