Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 AM
Default Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio

Hi, My first post in this forum, so hoping that I can get some technical advice.

I am located in the UK but have a 1997 grand voyager 3.3 v6. Got in the car last week and the gears in the tranny started playing up. First gear no probs, second gear no probs, now as soon as the vehicle tried to change into 3rg gear it would slip, the revs would raise and drop into second and stay there (Limp mode). Turn off engine restart and the same thing would happen. During the transition between second and third gear there would also be a screech, like the bands are slipping. I have plugged on my OBDII reader and this is the code

P0733 Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio

There is no freeze frame data saved and when I reset the computer the same error code pops back up without moving the vehicle.
So Far I have done the following.

[ul][*]Dropped sump[*]Cleaned filter[*]Renewed oil[*]Changed input sensor[*]Changed output sensor[*]Changed shift solenoid[/ul]
The vehicle has done about 110k miles.
So based on the info above can anyone help me out as to the next stage?, I know that on some other uk vehicles they have a specific "Trans computer" that could be the root cause of such a problem. Could this be the case with the voyager?,Could this be related to some other kind of electrical fault in the car?.IS there any other trans sensors on this vehicle that could throw this error if faulty?.One other thing I forgot to mention was that the car had been sitting idle for about 2 months before this happened with no signs of trouble before.
If anyone could help out with some voyager specific experience I would be very grateful.
Thanks
James

Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Default RE: Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio

This vehicle does have a TCM, transmission control module, thats where this code is being set.

It's probably one of two things from here either the vavle body isn't sealing well due to age or debri getting stuck in the check ***** allowing fluid to get past and causing the clutches to slip. Or the TCM has an interal fault in it. Are there any other codes in it?

Old 10-21-2008, 09:14 PM

welcome aboard dodgetech1 good to see another tech to the site

Old 10-22-2008, 03:20 AM

dodgetech1,
Thanks very much for your prompt reply.
The OBDII Reader only gave me code
P0733 Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio.
Is there another chrylser specific tool that will lock in the TCM for more indepth diagnostics?. Ordinarily would the OBDII reader display data on the TCM albeit basic? As far as the valve body is concerned am I right in thinking that it is located under the gear shift lever coupling for this model?.Also is it advisable to strip and inspect the valve body and componets or just renew?
Once again thankyou very much for your prompt and knowledgeable response.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:36 PM

unless you've seen a bunch of valve bodies I dont think you'd really be able to rebuild it very easily. Its at the point with these trasaxles that its cheaper just to replace the whole unit with a reman. What did the fluid look like when you drained it? did the old speed sensor have any metal on them? The valve body is going to be on the bottom side of the trans sitting right above the big pan you took off. I suspect that the fluid was looking pretty dark and if there was metal in the trans pan you most likely hve some of the metal in the valve body.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:11 AM

Thanks again for that. When you say replace the whole unit do you mean replace only the valve body or the complete transaxle?. The fluid was dirty but there was no metal on the sensors or in the sump. I am wondering if it is worth getting the TCM tested if possible aswell. Where is the tcm located?
Thanks again for the help
James