Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Gearbox Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:49 AM

Look most readers are pretty useless, £20 for a bluetooth android smartphone toy might give more than a 'keydance' £150 for a bluetooth Autel will give more than a 'keydance' but even in the £1000+ fully diagnostic [not reader / scanner] league you will have issues reading Chrysler, even when in this elevated diagnostic club a J2534 reprogramming tool costing an extra £1000 quid needs to be added to the first £1000 and even this tool has issues with Chrysler specific vehicles.

For example the 2014 CHRYSLER Diagnostic Software for X-431 Series V29.00 has only just updated the following covering from 2005 to 2015. All diagnostic & scanner level tools are behind their years, at the end of the day even if you have the £2500 invested in kit you still need someone like tfb to translate what the tool [s] tell you into a hands on diagnosis. Best of luck.

Last edited by QinteQ; 06-25-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 06-26-2015, 02:02 AM

Might sound like a daft question, but how possible is it that my problem is down to transmission oil temperature?

Thinking of fitting an after-market universal oil cooler as I can quite easily fabricate brackets, etc. to do so and wondering if it's worth a try as it only has the problem when warm.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:56 AM
tfb

not what the temperature is, but what the EATX believes the temp is.

If you are sure the transmission is stuck in 2nd gear AND you are sure there are no fault codes raised then then only thing that comes to mind is that the EATX is holding it in 2nd as it thinks it's freezing cold.

For the gearbox to be in limp mode then there must be a fault code as the the EATX only tells the gearbox to go into limp mode when it detects a fault, therefore there must be a code for the original fault, plus a code saying "i'm in limp mode"

Clearer?

Richard

Old 06-29-2015, 01:14 AM

I had similar issues with mine. It sometimes went into limp mode but the majority of the time it was changing gear quite harsh. When scanned I noticed that the gearbox temp sensor was reading -19 and even in UK winter that was way off. I also, on some occasions, had all the the gears illuminated at the same time which was concerning. However after some research I found out that the transmission range and temp sensor are built into the same module similar to manifold temp/pressure sensor. After replacing and conducting a transmission relearn I can say it is running smooth again, thankfully.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Grizz
Might sound like a daft question, but how possible is it that my problem is down to transmission oil temperature?

Thinking of fitting an after-market universal oil cooler as I can quite easily fabricate brackets, etc. to do so and wondering if it's worth a try as it only has the problem when warm.
ATF @ - 10 to - 12°F the gearbox is using 'super cold, shift schedules
ATF @ - 10 to - 36°F the gearbox is using 'cold, shift schedules
ATF @ - 80+°F the gearbox is using 'hot / normal, shift schedules
ATF @ - 240+°F the gearbox is using 'overheat, shift schedules
ATF @ - 260+°F the gearbox is using 'super overheat, shift schedules

Its what the TCM thinks the ATF temperature is, signals from the TCM to the PCM via the PCi circuit are often the cause if you have a data BUS. General reading here.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by royal100805
I had similar issues with mine. It sometimes went into limp mode but the majority of the time it was changing gear quite harsh. When scanned I noticed that the gearbox temp sensor was reading -19 and even in UK winter that was way off. I also, on some occasions, had all the the gears illuminated at the same time which was concerning. However after some research I found out that the transmission range and temp sensor are built into the same module similar to manifold temp/pressure sensor. After replacing and conducting a transmission relearn I can say it is running smooth again, thankfully.
Any clues as to the location of the temperature range sensor please?

Still having problems with my vehicle but it did a rather strange thing the other day. I managed to get it onto a dual carriageway and up to 45mph before it got up to running temperature and it sat quite happily in fourth gear all the way until I had to come to a stop a few miles later. Once I set off again it changed from first to second with no problem, but then when it tried to change into third it revved, jolted and changed back into second gear.

Does this sound like the temperature range sensor may be the problem to you experienced and wise people or possibly something else? I've never owned a vehicle like this before that can have what appears to be a rather simple problem but is causing so much frustration at trying to sort it out.

To be honest I have even contemplated scrapping the vehicle if it can't be rectified soon.