Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glow plugs!... Where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Question Glow plugs!... Where are they?

I've bought a set of glow plugs (A while ago) and was thinking about fitting them tomorrow. Are the situated at the front of the engine of a 2007 year car? Or the rear of the head?

Old 11-01-2014, 10:32 AM

Glow plugs are usually for Diesel engines. They warm up and help the combustion process if I'm not mistaken.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:37 AM

They are for oil burners and glow red hot for aiding cold starts as the diesel is sprayed over them and into the cylinders on these compression ignition engines. Had a good look and they are at the front of the head. Tomorrow's job...

Old 11-02-2014, 08:05 AM
tfb

2 are easy to get too, one a bit more difficult and one a right bugger.

With glowplugs there is always the risk if tips snapping off in the block. I would be inclined to test them individually with a multi-meter and then only replace if they have failed. Compare the reading against your new ones.

Regards
Richard

Old 11-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tfb
2 are easy to get too, one a bit more difficult and one a right bugger.

With glowplugs there is always the risk if tips snapping off in the block. I would be inclined to test them individually with a multi-meter and then only replace if they have failed. Compare the reading against your new ones.

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard

I've just bought a new multi-meter! But I have never used one! So have no idea what to do with it. Could you give me a walk through on what to do please?

Old 11-02-2014, 03:11 PM

Test lamp, meter & bench

- snapping off - run the engine till the block is warm before you start the job and give them a squirt of easing oil
- make sure you clean dust from around the plug hole before removing the plug, you don't want debris going in there

Test lamp

- remove the individual cables from the plugs, lamp + to battery +, the pin of the test lamp to the top of the plug
- 2 ohms or less the test light should be bright, more than 2 ohms resistance the bulb won't light

Meter

- set it to ohms, lowest setting about 200 ohms, meter between top of meter and earth
- you are again looking for less than 2 ohms, less than 2 ohms is good more than 2 ohms is boogared
- you would expect about 1.5 [note the point] if you see a 1 without a point after it - its bigger than the 200 ohms measurement and boogared

Bench

- take the glow plug out
- heavy duty jumper leads battery + to top of glowplug, body of glowplug on a good earth
- a good uniform glow starting with the tip and spreading along the plug is what you are looking for on each / all plugs
- if ever I take plugs or glowplugs out I always copperslip the thread, and reinsert by hand not socket, then tourque to about 15nM
- you should always expect new glowplugs to heat almost the full length, and a plug with 50k miles to heat the tip only

Old 11-02-2014, 04:18 PM

Cheers my mate

Now thats what I call a replay. Gonna take a look at them over the next week now...

Old 11-02-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by TimmyTim
Cheers my mate

Now thats what I call a replay. Gonna take a look at them over the next week now...
Best of luck M8, they're not difficult, watch out for what tfb says about knecking them off - that's a disaster. Try the test light or the ohms test, they are both non-destructive.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:33 PM

Many tnaks...