Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Voyage strange leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Default Grand Voyage strange leak

Hi, I am new to the forum and Chrysler and I am seeking some advice.

I have just purchased a 1999 Grand Voyager and after I purchased the car I drove it to a fuel station and floods of water was running from under the radiator. I filled it up again and proceeded a few miles home and no leak it was absolutely fine. I chalked it up to maybe not putting the cap on properly, anyway I have had no problem with it even on a 20 mile round trip until this evening I walked to the nearest store to get some oil and when I came back there water on the road and a drip from the cap end of the radiator but by this time the engine was cooling having not driven for an hour or so. I cant work this one out why it leaks one minute and not the next.

I would be grateful of any advice on this.

Thanks Baz

Old 07-23-2014, 03:42 AM

If it's a coolant leak (the fluid should be reddish, or green if it's an old one, or taste sweet if you don't mind touching some to your tongue as the good-old boy mechanics do) you may well have a pressure leak, meaning when the coolant is up to temp., the pressure is there.
The old dodge is to leave the rad. cap slightly loose so pressure can't build up and go for a run to warm it up. See if a leak happens under this circumstance. If it's stopped, you have a pressure leak.
But don't be fooled, as other things can cause this apparent leak. It could be condensation, or it could be a cyl. head gasket "on the way" and you have some blow-by from a combustion chamber to coolant jacket. To establish this one, tie a small poly-bag to end of the excess pressure vent pipe from the filler cap (screwed down normally this time) area with a rubber band and see if coolant is collected in it after a test-run. These caps relieve pressure over about 15lbs., so this will reveal if the pressure is more than that.

Leedsman.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:03 AM

I think the leak may have stopped and was coming from the overflow pipe. I checked the oil which was empty so filled it up. I topped up the coolant too and I haven't had a problem again. I can only assume that the lack of oil caused excess heat which caused a greater pressure in the radiator. I will keep an eye on the situation and hopefully its now sorted.

Thanks for your help.

Baz

Old 07-26-2014, 05:01 AM

If your oil was empty and you had a coolant leak you should keep a close eye on your fluids and engine temperature, because you could have a head gasket blown.
like Leedsman already said

Old 07-27-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Vmaxxer
If your oil was empty and you had a coolant leak you should keep a close eye on your fluids and engine temperature, because you could have a head gasket blown.
like Leedsman already said
Thanks, I have been keeping a close eye on it. Since topping up oil and coolant I have hand no lose of oil or water so far, But I am keeping a close eye on it until I am happy its ok.

Baz

Old 08-11-2014, 03:21 PM

Thank you for your help. I had a blow out on the rad and got towed home but have now fitted a new rad and everything seems fine. The coolant temperature is now running lower than before as well.

Thanks Baz

Old 08-14-2014, 03:08 PM

Mine acted the same some years ago. Had a 4 inch crack in the side tank. Puddle formed as it cooled off. Odd.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
Mine acted the same some years ago. Had a 4 inch crack in the side tank. Puddle formed as it cooled off. Odd.
Mine was similar until it when completely and I had to call breakdown. changed the rad but looks like it took my fan relay with it.

Baz