Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Voyager 2.8 Ltd XS.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 05:31 AM
Default Grand Voyager 2.8 Ltd XS.

Hi all,

I am a brand newbie here so please excuse me if Ive posted this in the wrong area of the forum

Basically I am very tempted with purchasing our first ever Chrysler GV.

We have just offloaded a 2002 Renault Grand Espace and were thinking of replacing it with the newer shape GE, then started to think out of the box and began looking into the Chrysler alternative.

The model we have narrowed it down to is a 2005 2.8 Ltd XS diesel with 80K miles on it.

I appreciate its a lucky dip, but would be eternally grateful if anyone could suggest any common failings of one of these fantastic cars with this amount of mileage?

Cheers,

Merle. (UK)

Old 01-25-2014, 08:51 AM

Common failings? Just read the postings on here, just read the postings. 80,000mile is a bit low for a nine year old vehicle. Be suspicious of that mileage.

You'll not be short of space, the engines (diesel) last forever. It's a comfortable long distance cruiser whether you're shifting people or furniture. After 110,000mile mine has no squeaks rattles or groans. You may have electrical issues. Carry a spare good battery and jump leads until you are sure there's no problems. Check the HOAT antifreeze was replaced after 5 years in a 50-50 water solution. Otherwise the radiator plugs up, the thermostat jams open, and you've a bill of several hundred pounds. Aluminium core radiators can't be flushed. The handbrake's not very good, the americans regard them as "parking-brakes" only, not emergency brakes.
Owners who are going to get rid of a vehicle often neglect proper maintenance. Check this thoroughly.
Hope you get a good one that's been looked after.

Leedsman.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Common failings? Just read the postings on here, just read the postings. 80,000mile is a bit low for a nine year old vehicle. Be suspicious of that mileage.

You'll not be short of space, the engines (diesel) last forever. It's a comfortable long distance cruiser whether you're shifting people or furniture. After 110,000mile mine has no squeaks rattles or groans. You may have electrical issues. Carry a spare good battery and jump leads until you are sure there's no problems. Check the HOAT antifreeze was replaced after 5 years in a 50-50 water solution. Otherwise the radiator plugs up, the thermostat jams open, and you've a bill of several hundred pounds. Aluminium core radiators can't be flushed. The handbrake's not very good, the americans regard them as "parking-brakes" only, not emergency brakes.
Owners who are going to get rid of a vehicle often neglect proper maintenance. Check this thoroughly.
Hope you get a good one that's been looked after.

Leedsman.
Thanks very much Leedsman, thats a first class reply.

The car in question is from an Independent Dealer so I wouldnt imagine he'll know if the 50/50 anti freeze was replaced after 5 years.

It certainly 'looks' like it's been looked after and its a one owner car as well. The dealer quotes that it has six receipts as a service history which doesnt sound a lot for me in 9 years....but then again Im not educated in the service intervals of the GV.

What he does say is that the Sat Nav is not reading the disc, but that could be due to scratching to the disc.

Do you know what the timing belt intervals are on these?

Old 01-25-2014, 12:01 PM

Cambelts are officially changed at 80,000mile. The latest Gates belts are said to last 150,000mile.

Leedsman.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Cambelts are officially changed at 80,000mile. The latest Gates belts are said to last 150,000mile.

Leedsman.
OK then I need to make sure the belt has been changed on this 80K car i'm looking at

Old 01-25-2014, 03:06 PM

I just came off a mk2 Espace TD which was ultra reliable before buying my Voyager and what a difference there is. My ideal car long before that was a MK3 Espace but after reading many reports about electrical issues with the Mk3 car I stayed clear. Whole dash going kapout was one.
Had a Scenic RX4 DCI which died due to crap 4x4 gearbox and electrical issues. Many Renaults use this DCI pain in butt.
Even looked into getting a Mk4 Espace but that's still swarthed in Mk3 issues. Powerfull 3ltr DCI engine one cracks heads.
So you have made a wise decision as I did and in my case being into DIY it carries 8x4 sheets INSIDE...
But go for the top one LTD at least for the toys and enjoy armchair comfort.
Select one with no faults, service history would help but these can be forged. Your timing belt needs changed at 80k unless its on previous service.
Think I remember seeing one quite recently on Flee-bay with 80k mls.
Any problems can be sorted on here, well not sorted, advised to issue.
Good Luck.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
I just came off a mk2 Espace TD which was ultra reliable before buying my Voyager and what a difference there is. My ideal car long before that was a MK3 Espace but after reading many reports about electrical issues with the Mk3 car I stayed clear. Whole dash going kapout was one.
Had a Scenic RX4 DCI which died due to crap 4x4 gearbox and electrical issues. Many Renaults use this DCI pain in butt.
Even looked into getting a Mk4 Espace but that's still swarthed in Mk3 issues. Powerfull 3ltr DCI engine one cracks heads.
So you have made a wise decision as I did and in my case being into DIY it carries 8x4 sheets INSIDE...
But go for the top one LTD at least for the toys and enjoy armchair comfort.
Select one with no faults, service history would help but these can be forged. Your timing belt needs changed at 80k unless its on previous service.
Think I remember seeing one quite recently on Flee-bay with 80k mls.
Any problems can be sorted on here, well not sorted, advised to issue.
Good Luck.
Thanks very much Goggs.

Its such a relief to hear of someone else that has made the G Espace to G Voyager transition ad for you to confirm that you are happier now with the Chrysler makes me a whole lot more comfortable with the change.

I am going to compile a list of questions for the dealer before I hand over any money, mostly trivial practical issues such as - does it tell me how many miles are left in the fuel tank? - but anything you would think I should ask from a mechanical angle would be greatly appreciated.

Im getting quite excited about it now.

I spoke to a friend of mine in Belfast earlier who knows two families with a GV, and he says they love it!

Old 01-26-2014, 01:18 PM

I bought my first Voyager brand spanking new in 2004 but decided to sell it in April 2013 for something smaller. I thought I didn't need the space anymore now the grandkids have grown up. So I bought a used BMW. BIG mistake. Cut a long story short, I sold the BMW in September after owning it for 6 months and bought a .........................................
2007 Grand Voyager 2.8 Diesel. I just love the things.
And yes, it does tell you how many miles are left in the tank, the average MPG, the length of time you've been driving, which direction you are driving in etc etc etc.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by AlanC
I bought my first Voyager brand spanking new in 2004 but decided to sell it in April 2013 for something smaller. I thought I didn't need the space anymore now the grandkids have grown up. So I bought a used BMW. BIG mistake. Cut a long story short, I sold the BMW in September after owning it for 6 months and bought a .........................................
2007 Grand Voyager 2.8 Diesel. I just love the things.
And yes, it does tell you how many miles are left in the tank, the average MPG, the length of time you've been driving, which direction you are driving in etc etc etc.
Thats fantastic, thanks Alan.

I emailed the dealer this morning with a list of questions, so just waiting to hear back. Incidentally one question was the miles left in the tank one, so you've answered that one already for me

As it's currently on 80K miles I think the main query is whether the timing belt has been done yet. Do you have an idea of how much it would cost to change that if I had to do it myself?

Old 01-26-2014, 02:37 PM

Timing Belt renewal at independent garage around £500, £220 for kit and 4 hours at £75.
Chrysler garage £750, hourly rate must be about £125-£150.
You need special tools for setting up, they are on Flee-bay, or mark up old belt and transfer to new.
Not much room in there to work, job is on You Tube (I think).
There was one went through on Flee-bay just hours ago, 2006 Grand LTD XS, 46K Miles with service history. around £44500. Stunning if you wait.
Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Grand Voyager 2.8 Ltd XS.