Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Grand Voyager Overhead Trip Computer Removal

Old 12-18-2014, 07:18 PM
Default Grand Voyager Overhead Trip Computer Removal

Hi I hope this message finds you well

I own a 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager Limited XS 2.8 CRD. This vehicle is equipped with an overhead trip computer which includes buttons to open the electronic boot and sliding side doors. Everything works fine as it should apart from the light bulbs which illuminate the buttons to open the sliding side doors and the boot seem to have gone out so I can't see which buttons to press in the dark. The buttons work fine, just the illumination has failed. I have tried and tried to find a way of removing the unit from the ceiling of the car to see if I can replace the bulbs but for the life of me cannot find a way of removing it. Am I missing something. I want to remove the whole unit from the roof so I can get into the buttons to check the bulbs. Can anyone tell me how to do this please. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:14 AM

I dont have that option so i cant really help you but I am pretty sure that if you manage to get the unit out you probably will find that Chrysler does not sell separate replacement bulbs...
But there are solutions to replace the bulbs yourself with or without soldering.
Here's a thread about replacing illumination lights:
https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...ase-help-6665/

Old 12-19-2014, 06:34 AM

- search for > overhead console <, and save the *.pdf to your desktop for future needs. Hope this helps !

Old 12-19-2014, 11:13 AM

you could follow this thread for info too: 2007 Caravan SXT overhead console lighting question

Old 12-20-2014, 07:47 PM

thanks for your replies guys. I really appreciate it. I finally found out how to get the console out. It is basically held up by three clips. You have to grab the console and pull it quite hard to pop the clips out. I managed to get into the buttons and there is a little blueish LED soldered to the board that has abviously blown. Does anyone know where to get these from or can I just use a normal led on it?

Old 12-21-2014, 05:40 AM

Is it a led? or a small lightbulb with a blue rubber cap?
There are 3 types as far as I can tell..
Lightbulbs with a white round foot which you can turn counterclockwise and click out
Lightbulbs with a white square foot which are soldered on the unit
Lightbulbs soldered directly on the unit.
They all look like leds, i thought so too at first .

The Chrysler dealer probably wont sell them because they only sell you a whole unit when a light is blown
The only ones the dealer here in Holland sells are these for the instrument cluster.
the round foot ones:

Attached Thumbnails Grand Voyager Overhead Trip Computer Removal-dsc_0558.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Vmaxxer
Is it a led? or a small lightbulb with a blue rubber cap?
There are 3 types as far as I can tell..
Lightbulbs with a white round foot which you can turn counterclockwise and click out
Lightbulbs with a white square foot which are soldered on the unit
Lightbulbs soldered directly on the unit.
They all look like leds, i thought so too at first .

The Chrysler dealer probably wont sell them because they only sell you a whole unit when a light is blown
The only ones the dealer here in Holland sells are these for the instrument cluster.
the round foot ones:
I have now found that these bulbs are the ones with the blue rubber cap. i have also found some replacement bulbs on eBay

12V 70mA 3mm dia. Miniature Wire Ended Lamps Qty. 10 | eBay

3mm x 7mm. 12v 0.85 w. Solder the bulbs onto the board and put the blue cap over the new bulb. Just thought I would share this if anyone else is having difficulties