Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grand voyager transmission fluid / ac/ power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 04:43 AM
Default grand voyager transmission fluid / ac/ power steering?

Hi All,

I was hoping someone can offer me some advice. I have a 2007 grand voyager 2.8 auto. It has around 75000 on the clock and ran like a dream until I had it seviced at a Chrysler dealership. During the service, they changed the transmission fluid. when we broke down a day later, they told me the car didn't like the 'nice new oil' we put in it. They swear they put the right tranmission fluid in, but I had to wait nearly 3 weeks before they could recalibrate it with something called a DRB machine. They returned it telling me there was no lasting damage. A few weeks later, we went on our family camping holiday to France and the air con packed in. I went to a few French garages and was told it wsn't something they did, so thought I'd leave it and get it looked at when I got home. On the way home, I pulled off the motorway (luckily) as my daughter was feeling sick and the power steering went. The car (and all my stuff) is currently sitting in a garage in france, while we returned by plane at the weekend. My question is, could the the transmission fluid change / recalibration have affected the air con / power steering? Or am I the unluckiest owner in the world? I'd appreciate any advice.....

Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 AM

If the 'wrong' ATF was installed in the autobox the only likely effects would be a possible "shudder" from the torque-converter's clutch. If the fluid level was wrong, there would be many other effects, usually betrayed by odd noises from the transmission.

All you can do with powered steering is ensure the fluid level in the reservoir is correct. Interestingly, the powered steering fluid is often the same ATF as used in the autobox. You might check this from the owner's handbook. If this be so, then it would be a curious coincidence you are having trouble with both items using ATF straight after a service from a Chrysler dealership.

In any event, you should carefully keep any evidence as to what was done to your motor (invoices etc.). If it comes to lawyers, and big money, any evidence will be crucial. When you have your vehicle back, I do believe the AA or RAC have an examination service for people in your position. Their report again could be useful evidence.

Leedsman.

p.s. I suggest you "Google" the expression DRB machine as I have. I can find no relevance to any operation on an automatic transmission, although it could be a reference to a scan-tool possibly. Never heard it called a 'machine' before.

Last edited by Leedsman; 08-19-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Addition.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Lightbulb

The ATF fluid for the auto 4 speed (41TE) box is ATF+4 fluid which is the same for the power steering!.. I think its better the change the box oil in stages (About 8 pints at a time) as I have heard that problems can occur. Never use a "Flush" as this can cause the box to fail. There is also a filter in the box that can be changed (Part number 1-04864505AB) but the auto sump pan has to removed (As there is no drain plug on the box) and ATF-RTV sealant used to re-seal or buy a rubber gasket from the dealer which is very expensive! WIX make a filter (Part number 58934 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3207521885...84.m1423.l2649) that has one supplied with it and can be purchased on Ebay for around £15.

The air con is a different system to the ATF fluid so think you might be unlucky there! Could just be a re-gas if not then a leak could have happened.

Last edited by TimmyTim; 08-19-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Yes, ATF4+ is an ATF where the torque converter's clutch is used in the slipping mode for the lower gears. The fluid will therefore have friction modifiers for this -- otherwise judder/shudder.
The best way to change ATF is with one of those expensive american machines that simulaneously pump out the old fluid while at the same time pumping in the new, with a glass to see when all the old is out. These machines get all the fluid out of the torque converter, which seems the only type that does this. Usually the pipes to the cooler are used. (Either in the bottom of the coolant rad. or the separate cooler). I've never come across any garage with that type in Britain. Maybe where they service Bentleys?

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 08-19-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:29 AM

thanks guys. Yeah, it was ATF4 they used and as you say the problenm was the gears not changing correctly. That was cured by whatever the mysterioys DRM thing was - some kind of software update I was told? I don't know whether they touched the aircon or the power steering in the service as all the paperwork is in the car (in France). it seems like a big coincidence to me, but I suppose it could be bad luck? From what I understand from the french garage, the power steering pump has broken and caused the accessories belt to snap. But the air con went before the power steering - does that make sense to anyone? thanks again

Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by voyager200
thanks guys. Yeah, it was ATF4 they used and as you say the problenm was the gears not changing correctly. That was cured by whatever the mysterioys DRM thing was - some kind of software update I was told? I don't know whether they touched the aircon or the power steering in the service as all the paperwork is in the car (in France). it seems like a big coincidence to me, but I suppose it could be bad luck? From what I understand from the french garage, the power steering pump has broken and caused the accessories belt to snap. But the air con went before the power steering - does that make sense to anyone? thanks again
What you need to find out is if the PAS fluid was changed and if they indeed filled it back up to the correct level??? If memory serves me correctly then the belt that runs the power steering also runs the air con? Its dark and so can't check my 2007 XS 2.8L VM boat engine to see!!!

Maybe some one can check on the workshop disc as mine seems to have done a runner atm! Or it can be down loaded off line as someone did post a link to it on here...

Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 AM

Thanks TimmyTim, I'll do that when it finally returns from France. If anyone can shed any light on whether the AC is connected to the power steering, I'd be grateful. It's very frustrating as I was so happy with the car, but have lost all faith in it now

Old 08-20-2013, 04:08 PM

Rotten luck - you (and your family) must be thoroughly fed up with the car.

On my 2003 petrol voyager all of the accessories run on a single serpentine drive belt - if the belt breaks it will lose PS, AC, Alternator and water pump function. Don't know about the diesel engine. Look in service manual here:

Index of /pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals

Wrong fluid in the transmission would naturally undermine your confidence in the garage that did the service, but I cannot see a connection between AC and PS and the auto box.

Most likely cause of PS pump failing and breaking the drive belt is pump seizure due overheat due lack of fluid, IMO. However, if it was that low on fluid at the service, then it would be making wheezy noises when parking for sure. To lose that much fluid since service probably points to a broken hydraulic hose or other gross leak in PS system.

Good luck - and commiserations.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:07 AM

Hi all. So my car finally returned from France yesterday - 3 weeks after breaking down. I've looked at the service paperwork from the 7th year service carried out by Chrysler in June. They apparently 'checked performance of heater and air con functions', 'replaced air con filter', 'inspected suspension and steering', 'checked fluid levels of power steering'. Given that the air con and then the power steering failed less than 6 weeks later, and the fact that they'd made a total ***** up with the transmission fluid on the service, do you think it is safe to assume they are liable for this? I'd appreciate any advice, the whole experience has been so frustrating.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:42 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by voyager200
Hi all. So my car finally returned from France yesterday - 3 weeks after breaking down. I've looked at the service paperwork from the 7th year service carried out by Chrysler in June. They apparently 'checked performance of heater and air con functions', 'replaced air con filter', 'inspected suspension and steering', 'checked fluid levels of power steering'. Given that the air con and then the power steering failed less than 6 weeks later, and the fact that they'd made a total ***** up with the transmission fluid on the service, do you think it is safe to assume they are liable for this? I'd appreciate any advice, the whole experience has been so frustrating.
Glad you've finally got the Van back from France!... Your problem is how to prove that they are liable for the problems you found yourself in! I think a carefully worded' but strong letter to the dealer principal would be my 1st port of of call, as well as to trading standards for some guidance...

Quick Reply: grand voyager transmission fluid / ac/ power steering?