Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand voyager xs crd bellowing white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Ran
Default Grand voyager xs crd bellowing white smoke

I have a 2004 crd xs , which has started running very rough , lost all power , struggles to climb a hill and bellows out white smoke . This smoke increases the more the accelerator is pressed .
It's recently had a problem with losing coolant, that was rectified but it has had a new ac pump and belts replaced . I've also had the injectors replaced . It has done 78000 miles
Can anyone help please

Old 11-29-2013, 06:02 AM

"It's recently had a problem with losing coolant". You need to check if it's still losing coolant by carefully examining the level in the overflow plastic tank. If the white smoke doesn't smell strongly of diesel, water/steam is the only other thing it could be. Hold your hand in the exhaust gas stream while someone else revs it. It'll become obvious what it is.
Blown cyl. head gasket is first choice (lucky if that's the prob.) or a crack in cyl. head or block. That's real UNlucky as these two are wildly expensive and labor-consuming. New diesel cyl. heads are a visit to the bank manager. But there are firms who can weld them more cheaply than new.
If you find it's the gasket, follow Chrysler's instructions about cleaning the block top and head.

Leedsman.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Ran

Thank you for your reply Leedsman, the smoke is definitely diesel smell, and it's dense smoke.im looking to sell it ASAP , but it's a question of ...do I repair it and sell it, do I repair it and keep it or just sell it as it is , hoping the garage don't notice it lol, what would you do in my position , I've been offered £3000 against p/ex. Also are the new Chrysler grand voyagers any good, as it's a choice between that and a galaxy
Thanks once again

Old 11-29-2013, 03:33 PM

This engine will likely have commonrail injection with solenoid injectors. (CRD = common rail diesel). One of the injectors could be jammed open, OR the the injector control micro could be holding it open. This should be repairable at modest cost.
1st. thing, disconnect the battery -ve for a few minutes to see if a hard reset cures any control problem. This is no-cost, but you may need the radio code to hand.
2nd. thing, remove the injectors and have them tested. One may be jammed open.
3rd. thing, if injectors are ok, they should be replaced in their original holes.
4th. thing, it's necessary to check the drive waveform on an oscilloscope to the injector's solenoid winding (the two wire connexion). They should all be approx. the same. One which is very different has a bad drive to it. I.e from the PCM (power control module, or as it would be in UK, engine control module). You may need professional help here.
5th. thing. Clutching at straws here, there is a possibility that an injector has a lump of carbon in its orfice. Pouring some "Forte'" into the fuel filter MAY dislodge it. It's no good putting Forte' in the fuel tank-- that's far too weak.
There is a slight possibility you have an EGR problem.

Good luck (and you are already lucky in that the white smoke is diesel).

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 11-29-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 12-01-2013, 10:34 AM
tfb

if you've been offered a decent part ex price then I'd jump at the chance to take it.

If the smoke smells of diesel and makes your eyes water then it's unburnt fuel. As Leedsman says it's an injection problem or lack of compression.

Regards
Richard

Old 12-02-2013, 03:32 PM

Kind of Points to a Turbo problem her methinks. Has it been checked, is it knackered.