Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Grande Voyager LTD Aux Heater.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Default Grande Voyager LTD Aux Heater.

Hi Guys,
God don't we learn somethings interesting on her, its better than watching dare I say X-Factor..
Learned a bit about Quietman's thread on Handbook & Whistling Auxheater.
So from Booke23/Travelmad (a book I need)/QinteQ/and Mario2857 I got some answers.
Now mine.....Just about knackered my engine. Driving along noticed no heat from heater. Then temp gauge rises. Just managed to get back with gauge in red. Finds wet patch on drive where I left. Ahhhh engine leak.
Errr no, topped up coolant and finds its dripping from Aux Heater area and not out of it's exhaust. Engine running ok.
Now thing is its snowing and too cold to work outside so at moment question is what am I likely to find, has anyone had this prob before, is it simply just a hose clip loose or is there re-enforced stainless hoses from engine to heater that are a problem.
Goggs..

Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Default Aux Heater.

Hi Myself.
At least it didn't snow today like rest of Britain so got all wheels up on ramps to get under. Looks like heater is U/S but will have a look inside, if thats possible. Coolant dripping out of flexi metal exhaust pipework from unit right near exhaust outlet.. Gonna need to fit metal "U" tube to coolant hoses entering unit, stop off small bore fuel supply pipe and disconnect wiring plug. Wonder if ECM will flash up anything about unplugging heater.
Goggs..

Old 01-15-2013, 03:30 PM
tfb

I looped mine out too, and it doesn't register a fault - I was going to fit it to another car but never got round to it.

Regards

Richard

Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Hi Myself.
At least it didn't snow today like rest of Britain so got all wheels up on ramps to get under. Looks like heater is U/S but will have a look inside, if thats possible. Coolant dripping out of flexi metal exhaust pipework from unit right near exhaust outlet.. Gonna need to fit metal "U" tube to coolant hoses entering unit, stop off small bore fuel supply pipe and disconnect wiring plug. Wonder if ECM will flash up anything about unplugging heater.
Goggs..
This is not the actual one, but they're all a much of a muchness. They are either water or [Webasto & Erberspatcher] air

- yours might not be in fact fubar'd
- yours might just be plumbing M8
-

Essentially without water in and out it will shut down anyway. You will see from the vid that it wants power / water / exhaust and a fuel pump before it will run. Here's a
thing. As a matter of interest only I have
in my workshop.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Default Grande Voyager Aux Heater.

Hi Guys,
Heaters is a Webasto Thermo Top C, 26W, 5KW, 2.5bar unit. Chrysler part no. 05005600AE..Webasto no. looks like 66724A 12V.
Stripped heater down and finds all joints and seals were ok so no problem here.
Loads of burnt soot/crap found inside unit. Cleaned out heat exchanger and filled inlet/outlet holes with hot water till full. Water then started to appear inside at bottom of exchanger, which is covered with raised cast studs.
On closer examination you could just see the crack.
Don't know if this is a problem with the exchanger but would be likely to happen if heater was run with no water in it. But hadn't with me and I've put it down to lack of maintenance and all that crap inside it thats built up over all those years.
Notice Repair joints on E-Bay and even replacement heat exchangers from Latvia for about £60. Somehow I think I'll just leave it off.
With this finding I would be thinking twice about handing over £100-£600 for a second hand one.
Looks like a job end on this one so I'll just put heater in bits by in box.
Goggs..

Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM

Been there, done that goggs - I feel your pain. I'm not up on Webasto but Erberspatcher's have reduced dramatically in price over recent years.

Two years ago they were around £1500, then the Italians came in with £900-1100. Believe me they are more secretive than the Freemasons with their information. Self repair is an expensive and long learning curve - the price of parts even if you are in the know and have mastered the techniques are prohibitive. Its the case that a warranted new one for the first time in a decade is relatively cheaper than a repair.

I wouldn't buy a second hand one anyone opened ever, years ago I would have bought an untouched one as a chancer for cheap money. The truth of the matter is people are still to this day paying a fortune for second handers on fle-bay. They're paying almost new price for an 8 year old working unit .. .. madness. Its the manufacturers, they have a total death grip on the market, and they know it. There are only two brand makers for the whole of Europe, Asia and the America's.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 AM

Great thread! Would love to know how I could get mine to switch on remotely! Would mean that the engine was hot b4 you got in so would reduce engine wearin a big way...

Old 11-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Default Aux Heater.

Ask Webasto....Let us know how you get on..
And, if you can switch on equipment in your house via Smart Phone I'm sure you can do it to your car....
Box of tricks methinks...
But how much...
Oh and another thing, I've got a KENLOWE 240v engine heater that I bought oodles of years ago, never been used. I note that this would fit in the same place as the Aux Heater and just connect coolant hoses. It would need to be plugged in though, no problem as car in drive 5 foot from house.
Maybe get round to it but....Cooold oot...

Old 11-10-2013, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by TimmyTim
Great thread! Would love to know how I could get mine to switch on remotely! Would mean that the engine was hot b4 you got in so would reduce engine wearin a big way...
You can get a full factory engine remote start kit but you'll need to find one to ship to the UK or pay our main stealer's a fortune. I'm not even sure if you can still get them fo older models or if they are legal in the UK !

Old 11-10-2013, 05:27 PM

Now the !...this is one Hell of a find! Wish I was more upon how to plug it in��

Quick Reply: Grande Voyager LTD Aux Heater.