Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

hard starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:55 AM
Default hard starting

This morning went out to go to church and my van just turned over. Know attempt to start just turned over. After several attempts it started and ran fine no codes. It is a 2009 town country 3,3 with 96,000 miles on it. Can someone tell me where to start? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks David

Old 08-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

What year and engine size do you have?
Next time around when u try and start and it wont stop then turn the key on and off 3x with out starting teh car then try it after that see if it will fire right up.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:09 PM

If it starts fine after that process you have a leak in the fuel system that's depleting pressure either in a line, the pump assembly in the tank or a fuel injector. See or smell any evidence? Cycling the key to on/run momentarily turns the pump on building pressure back up to specs. Many times the pump casing is cracked and leaking fuel on top of the tank or the pressure regulator on the pump assembly in the tank is leaking. Means a pump replacement.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 08-31-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:07 PM

About a month ago we had an issue with it sounding like it was dieseling when started. I immediately turned it off and restarted it. It started fine but the service engine light came on. Took it by advanced auto to pull the code. The tech said that the code was classic for a loose gas cap. No problems since we tightened it. Until now. There is no smell of or visible gas that we can see. Could this be related to the gas cap? We just got back from a1700 mile round trip vacation(@850 one way). Gas mileage was great @22-23 mpg on hwy. No other issues. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
David

Old 09-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

you still did not answer the question and no the gas cap code will have nothing to do with starting your car.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:36 AM

What question are you talking about the one about motor size and stuff? That's in the bottom of my first post. Thanks for looking greatly appreciate your help David.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

right below me asking the year make and model

Next time around when u try and start and it wont stop then turn the key on and off 3x with out starting teh car then try it after that see if it will fire right up.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:32 PM

Sorry yes turning it off to on the 3 times and it started great. Sorry for the miss communication. Thanks David

Old 09-04-2014, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

then u have a fuel pump that is not holding pressure if u see no outside leaks or u dont smell gas then the pump is leaking back down thus why it take awhile to start up.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:23 AM

Knowing it is the pump, how hard is it to replace is it something that can be done at home or at a dealer? And the big question if I have it done at the dealer or repair shop about how much? Thanks for all the help y'all have been very helpful. David

Quick Reply: hard starting