Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help needed please fitting a aftermarket radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 PM
Default help needed please fitting a aftermarket radio

Hi to all
I have got a 2005 Chrysler Grand Voyager Limited XS stow n go, it has got the RB3 sat nav radio, with the 6 disc dvd/cd player with 1 rear mounted screen.
I am trying to fit a aftermarket single unit, 7" main screen with built in sat nav, Bluetooth, dvd player. my trouble is in the back of my RB3 main unit it has 2 main plugs, the wire adapter I have brought only plugs into the 1 big plug, and when I connect in my new system it all works but NO sound, can any one PLEASE give me some advice as to what I have done wrong. none of my speaker grills have INFINITY on them so I take it the standard wire adaptor I brought is ok?
Thank you for all help
Jason

Old 04-05-2013, 01:32 AM
tfb

I suspect that your original unit uses an external amplifier which drives the speakers. Mine was the same, the head unit only had a left and right audio output to an amp hidden behind the trim by the rear right seats

Your new unit should have a diagram showing which pins are for which speaker , check you have the amp first and then run some cables from the new head unit to the amplifier and connect on to the speaker wires there. Can't remember the colour codes but I'm sure they ware easy to identify as sets of pairs

Regards

Richard

Old 04-07-2013, 04:16 AM

Thank You Richard
You were spot on, all done now and fitted, I did like the Chrysler Sat Nav RB3, but I missed seeing the map and the roads next to you, that why I fitted a better system

Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 AM

Hello Jason
Possible that you could post a picture of the new system installed?
Thanks!

Old 12-20-2015, 03:56 PM

Hello All,

So it's been a while for this thread, but I thought I would try my luck...

Does this thread mean that we need to run additional speaker-out wires back from the new head unit to the fitted amp and remove the speaker wires there to attach them to the new wires... bypassing the amp... and also taking the existing L/R audio wires and using those to connect to speakers ?

I'd like to be sure before I get stuck in.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 12-20-2015, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jason1969
Thank You Richard
You were spot on, all done now and fitted, I did like the Chrysler Sat Nav RB3, but I missed seeing the map and the roads next to you, that why I fitted a better system
This question is often asked. A walkthrough of the 3W's [what where why] with any pics would be helpful to others in the group.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:13 AM
tfb

yep, the original head unit give a L+R output to the amp.The amp then sends that to the speakers and allows you to balance L & R and front and back.

As the speakers are connected to the amp and not the head unit, if you want 4 channel sound then you need to run another 2 pairs of wires from the new head unit to the speaker connectors at the amp and connect the original output wires to the speakers.

Ricahrd

Originally Posted by bonegang
Hello All,

So it's been a while for this thread, but I thought I would try my luck...

Does this thread mean that we need to run additional speaker-out wires back from the new head unit to the fitted amp and remove the speaker wires there to attach them to the new wires... bypassing the amp... and also taking the existing L/R audio wires and using those to connect to speakers ?

I'd like to be sure before I get stuck in.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 01-06-2016, 06:52 AM

sorry to add more to this thread if i was to pull out the rb3 in my voyager and installed this
Chrysler 300M Town Country Grand Voyager PT Cruiser Radio Navi GPS DVD Bluetooth | eBay

would i have to run wires upto the amp .

also how would swapping the head unit effect my factory fitted dvd system as the rb3 controls that

Old 01-10-2016, 02:11 PM

Anyone ?

Old 01-10-2016, 03:44 PM

I looked at this one but not sure as well if it is direct connetion and keeps all other work as it should.

Car Video player GPS Navigation DVD Stereo Headunit For CHRYSLER GRAND VOYAGER | eBay

Quick Reply: help needed please fitting a aftermarket radio