Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

HELP, Reinstall 97 T&C Power Stearing Hose

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Default HELP, Reinstall 97 T&C Power Stearing Hose

I managed to get the old high pressure power steering hose of from underneath the car but I am having a hard time getting the new one back on.

By Problem is that I have very little room especially under the driver side to get to it. I had to cu the metal hose and a thread a stubby 18mm ratchet wrench.

My question is, is there a better way to get to that location maybe through the side once I take the wheel and all the shielding off?

Its the wife's car and its taken me two days just to get everything off, please help

Old 07-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

from under the van that's pretty much it

Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 AM

Here is what I discovered hopefully it help the next guy do the job a little faster.

1) In order to get to the bolt underneath the driver side you need to get to it from above through the engine compartment. That is done by removing the air filter unit and the battery, at that point you have a clear shot.

2) I had trouble screwing that same end back on, there is so much play that unless you line up the treads just right you wont be able to get it threaded correctly and will keep slipping. You need two people.

One under the car lining up the hose end into the hole just right while the other person from above reaches in a treads it.

I struggled on my own for hours in the stinking hot weather for two days, but it took less than thirty seconds to screw it back in with two people working on it.

3) I also removed four screws that held the heat shield in place above the drive shaft. I wasn't able to totally remove it but just move it out of the way so I could have a bit more access.

Good luck out there hopefully this will help shave of hours of frustration, because I found nothing out there that was the least bit helpful.