Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

HELP! voyager issues..

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Default HELP! voyager issues..

Hi all, I hope someone out there can help me. I have a big problem with my Grand voyager, 2.5 CRD 2004. Last week, the door mirrors suddenly started moving when you opened the door. They have never done this before (I didn't even know they did it at all) Got in the car went out for a few hours. When I got back it wouldn't start. As if the battery was nearly flat. Called my local mechanic and tried new battery, still the same as if its flat. He has run his diagnostic through it and it says all is well. Not sure what to do now. I really don't want to start throwing hundreds at it as neither me nor the mechanic have no idea what it could be. Any ideas anyone? Would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Bill.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:22 AM
tfb

with regards to the starting issue, is the engine not turning over or is it turning over but not firing? Do the needles on the dials do a funny sweep when you turn the key on or after trying to start it?

Regards
Richard

Old 04-09-2014, 02:32 AM
Default voyager issues

Hi, thanks for coming back to me. In answer to your question. The battery will only slowly turn the engine over but not enough to fire it up.(as if the battery is nearly flat) It has been tried with a new battery on and its still the same. As for the dials, you are right they do do a funny sweep when you turn the ignition. This started maybe a fortnight ago. Any ideas what it might be?
Heres hoping........
Thanks again.
Bill

Old 04-09-2014, 03:50 AM

With regard to the door mirrors, you've probably flicked the rocker switch on the side of the steering column. This will cause the mirrors to fold in when the doors close and the ignition is off/out when the doors open. It's for parking protection.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:25 AM
tfb

I think you have answered your own question there. It's the battery or else the connections/earth straps.

These engines take a lot of power to turn over fast enough to fire. The dials doing the sweep is a good indication that the voltage is dropping when cranking. If you are going to try a spare battery it needs to be a decent one, at least 800 CCA rated. A battery for a little petrol engine car wont to the job

Get the battery load tested, check the tightness of the connections on the battery and to the starter motor and to the chassis. If they look corroded then use a wire brush and a bit of Vaseline on the bare metal before reconnecting.

Regards
Richard

Old 04-09-2014, 04:45 AM
Default issues

Hi Richard, thanks for your help. However, this has had a booster starter put on it that will start a lorry and still no difference. Starter motor has been taken off and tested and all seems ok. Beginning to think driving it into a river is the best option! Love the car, but I think it will be the last Chrysler I own. Had 3 mechanics look at it and several electrical experts brains have been picked. The consensus seems to be that these cars a nightmare and if you take it to Chrysler themselves (who I'm told have the only diagnostics that may find the problem) they say the cost will be in the thousands! It seems Im stuffed without throwing money at it and there comes a point where you are just chucking good money after bad. Looks like I have 4 grands worth of scrap!
Thanks again for your input, its really appreciated.
Bill.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:03 AM

Billycricket, I just realised I had an identical problem 6 weeks ago. I thought it was the battery, called the RAC, he thought it was the battery, he put his booster on but it made no difference, so he got a big iron bar out of his van, told me to try starting it while he kept whacking the starter motor. It started immediately. I had a new starter motor fitted next day and it's been 100% ever since.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 AM
tfb

Originally Posted by billycricket
Hi Richard, thanks for your help. However, this has had a booster starter put on it that will start a lorry and still no difference. Starter motor has been taken off and tested and all seems ok. Beginning to think driving it into a river is the best option! Love the car, but I think it will be the last Chrysler I own. Had 3 mechanics look at it and several electrical experts brains have been picked. The consensus seems to be that these cars a nightmare and if you take it to Chrysler themselves (who I'm told have the only diagnostics that may find the problem) they say the cost will be in the thousands! It seems Im stuffed without throwing money at it and there comes a point where you are just chucking good money after bad. Looks like I have 4 grands worth of scrap!
Thanks again for your input, its really appreciated.
Bill.
How was the starter motor tested? unless it is tested with load then the test doesn't really mean much.
If with a booster and/or a known good battery of sufficient capacity it still doesn't crank fast enough then you need to be looking at earth straps.

What is the voltage across the battery terminals during cranking?
What is the voltage from the starter motor to chassis and then to battery - terminal during cranking?.

I would be very surprised if a DRBIII (chrysler's diganostic machine) would be required for this fault. A systematic test plan and a multi-meter should suffice. The only thing I would like to know from a diagnostic unit is what rpm is it cranking at?, you say it sounds slow but I'd like a quantified reading.

Where abouts are you in the country?

Regards
Richard

Old 04-09-2014, 07:36 AM
Default starter motor.

Hi Richard,
Your input is most appreciated.

Im at work today so its a bit difficult to speak to the garage. However, Im not sure what tests he has done to the starter motor other than he said it all seems fine. I will pass these posts on to him and see what he says. Hes an experienced guy so Im fairly confident hes been thorough. I will try and find out the answers to your questions and let you know. It maybe tonight/tomorrow though.

Once again, thank you.

Bill

Old 04-10-2014, 05:05 PM

Hi
I fully understand your comment about driving it into a river
I had a problem like yours with a Granada-----I put a jump lead from battery to earth----then battery to starter--------it turned out to be the connection to the starter (solenoid ?) it LOOKED ok but there was a bad connection at the 'ring terminal' -----big problem---easy fix
Maybe when you find the starting problem you will also cure the wild mirrors
The biggest problem I have now is working out which wire does what --------I just sorted out my rear fog light problem------by running a complete new wire/switch/light
Best of luck
Nigel

Quick Reply: HELP! voyager issues..