Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Hoat coolant

Old 09-13-2014, 07:09 PM
Default Hoat coolant

I bought 3 bottles of hoat coolant (zerex 05) to do my flush and refill and noticed the color of this new stuff is yellow. I know there is no worries when doing a full flush but curious if the red stuff is still out there?

Old 09-14-2014, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Dealer

Old 09-14-2014, 04:33 AM

Please note these vehicles have aluminium radiators and won't flush as the old copper and brass ones would. Be careful therefore what you put in there in terms of flushing mixture -- that it won't attack the aluminium.
HOAT antifreeze is fine whatever color it is, so long as it declares on the bottle/container that it IS in fact HOAT. It usually says 5-year life too. Comma's HOAT antifreeze is called "go-5".
You are doing well if you're changing the antifreeze before the 5-year limit. You are saving yourself a lot of money by not having to replace the radiator and the thermostat, as I know to my cost. That was one of the neglected jobs before I bought my GV.

Leedsman.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:08 AM

Thanks

Old 09-14-2014, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
Please note these vehicles have aluminium radiators and won't flush as the old copper and brass ones would. Be careful therefore what you put in there in terms of flushing mixture -- that it won't attack the aluminium.
HOAT antifreeze is fine whatever color it is, so long as it declares on the bottle/container that it IS in fact HOAT. It usually says 5-year life too. Comma's HOAT antifreeze is called "go-5".
You are doing well if you're changing the antifreeze before the 5-year limit. You are saving yourself a lot of money by not having to replace the radiator and the thermostat, as I know to my cost. That was one of the neglected jobs before I bought my GV.

Leedsman.
Thanks, in this case what I meant by flush was just draining the old and using distilled water to get all the old out before refilling, not adding any kind of cleaner/flush stuff at all. The old coolant looks clean but failed the floating ball test, only had one of the 5 float.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:39 AM

Flush - but never back-flush, and only ever flush with tapoline. Many [including parts distributors] fitters laugh when distilled is asked for. Distilled is a quid a gallon the Hoat / distilled ratio is 50/50%, so one gallon of hoat and one gallon of distilled. I used comma & distilled but the Zerex is the same spec. Colour varies country to country, I'm not sure there is an actual internationally agreed standard.

I just partially pulled the bottom hose, put the garden hose in the expansion bottle, filling was correlated to the rate of empty-ing, set the heater to full belt [flushes the matrix] and started the engine [caveat emtor applies]. When the colour and the crap was out I replaced the bottom hose and filled at 50 / 50, then left it running for 20 minutes to burp. Always check level the next day - just in case.