Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much water in header/expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Lightbulb How much water in header/expansion tank

Very quick question, as a general rule how much water should be in the header/expansion tank whilst cold and whilst hot? (Measured on a level surface of course)

Old 07-18-2013, 12:49 PM

There are a pair of lines molded in to the plastic. The level should be between those lines. At least that's how they do it on this side of the Atlantic.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:43 AM

Unfortunately there is only a "Cold fill max" line on these moulded into the plastic, so its quite difficult to judge what is the 'right' level as opposed to it being at max whilst cold!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Unfortunately there is only a "Cold fill max" line on these moulded into the plastic, so its quite difficult to judge what is the 'right' level as opposed to it being at max whilst cold!
- mines the same CRD as yours Andy
- I just fill to 'about [ish]' the cold fill line
- I've never had a moments trouble with it
- and mine 'still' needs a new stat - still haven't got around to doing it

Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 AM

Cheers m8.

Unfortunately its down to the ongoing saga with mine as just spoken to the garage and after over a month in getting all sorts done, its off on its way back in now :-(

Old 07-19-2013, 06:36 PM

Cheers m8.

Unfortunately its down to the ongoing saga with mine as just spoken to the garage and after over a month in getting all sorts done, its off on its way back in now :-(
- life's a bitch sometimes, you still have those issues, feel for Ya M8
- owt I can do to help .. .. just ask !

Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 PM

The "right level" is right up to the "cold max" line when cold. (Cold being defined as ambient temperature.) You want to get as much in there as it'll properly take. It usually takes a few warm-up and cool-down cycles to "burp" it of any entrapped air. Fill it up to the cold max line and drive it normally for a few days, then check it and top it off if necessary. That should do it.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks fellas.

Ack, bad news QinteQ, it's dead. Cracked block (discovered now the sump was removed), so its either scrap or try and get a replacement engine for it, but looking at cost and worth don't think it's gonna be worthwhile. Might end up stripping it down and selling parts though. Gutted as I loved my GV :-(
Ta for the advice and support tho fella.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Andy lad there seem to be soddin hundreds [ebay scrappies] if not thousands of Voyagers around the Bradford area if you decide to look for a block, relatively sod all up here. Do a trawl of scrappies around here - see what you come up with. There'll be others like you somewhere local scrapping theirs with a good powerplant and an uneconomic gearbox.

Best 'o luck M8, and sorry for you - exactly because we all love our GV's

Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 AM

Yeah, I know. Considered doing the engine swap thing, but since I'm not mech minded i'd always have that in my mind.

So unfortunately I'm on my way, its been scrapped and I've moved onto Citroen I'm afraid so leaving the Chrysler behind now.

Thanks for all the help in the past folks, QinteQ also for all your help m8 appreciate it.

Quick Reply: How much water in header/expansion tank