Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Howling noise on startup -- VIDEO

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Default Howling noise on startup -- VIDEO

Hi, I have a 2012 Town and Country that is getting a howling or loud whistling noise on startup in cold weather. It's definitely coming from the area of the belt and pulleys but does not sound to me like a slipping belt.

Here's a video (dropbox).

The noise is quite loud, and sometimes it lasts longer than what's in the video, but never more than about 30 seconds.

Took it to the dealer and they were able to reproduce it and changed out the alternator, but obviously that did not help.

Anybody have any suggestions other than just swapping out anything with a pulley on it?

Thanks!

-- Jon

Old 03-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Take it back to them and tell them when u experience the situation and let the warranty cover it.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 PM

Wow ! bet you never thought of that one huh snowkilts ?

Old 03-14-2013, 05:00 PM

Truthfully......

If you came into my dealership, and told me that "The guy on the internet forum said" .........

I would walk away from the car, and punch out for lunch.

I check noises with the longest screwdriver I can find (Stethoscope Theory) which doesnt lend itseelf very well to video. Sorry but unless your going to shell out the green to have someone check it, the dealership and your warranty coverage are your only option.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Hey wood if u were trying to be sarcastic its not working u listen to it and in your infinite wisdom tell me what that noise is and where it is coming from.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
If you came into my dealership, and told me that "The guy on the internet forum said" .........

I would walk away from the car, and punch out for lunch.

I check noises with the longest screwdriver I can find (Stethoscope Theory) which doesnt lend itseelf very well to video. Sorry but unless your going to shell out the green to have someone check it, the dealership and your warranty coverage are your only option.
Sure, but there's always the possibility that other people have had the same issue. If so it might point them in the right direction.

I don't want to tell the dealership how to do their job, but on the other hand I don't want to keep taking my vehicle back there over and over for the same issue.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 PM

Remove the serpentine belt. Rotate the pulleys by hand to make sure all rotate freely. Crank it up for a minute or two. Noise gone? You know it's something the belt drives or the belt itself.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM

snowkilts.....

I apologize, when I looked back, I realized that it wasnt you making the sarcastic cracks, so I shouldnt have been quite so sarcastic in return.

Raptor has the right idea, but..... a 3.6 usually doesnt like to be worked on in a driveway, and that belt is a bear to remove and replace without a lift.

Unfortunately, there are so many things that can cause your symptom , that unless I was in a service bay and actually experienced it myself....The rest is just a shot in the dark guess. The guy who plucked an alternator out of thin air should be smacked.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:09 PM

Just wanted to provide a follow up on this in case anybody else has the same problem.

After a second (lengthy) stay at the dealership, they replaced the crankshaft damper (p/n 5184293AG) and the timing chain cover (p/n 5184495AJ). They report that the noise is now gone, although I have not tried it for myself yet.

The service guy told me they have a second vehicle in for the same thing right now.

On a perhaps related note, I have noticed that a faint grinding noise which I heard under light acceleration at low speed is now gone since the repair.

Cheers,

-- Jon