Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC always sets itself to Feet and demist

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Default HVAC always sets itself to Feet and demist

Hi folks,

This one has bugged me for a while and just thought I'd ask the audience what they find on theirs. This is 2005 2.8CRD with climate control in the cabin.

Mine is left on auto all the time and I find that it almost always (99.99% of the time) sets itself to the top dial position (feet and top demister position) and never moves, so I find my feet get warm but the rest of me remains cold!

Is this common, a fault or just a poor cabin sensing system (And how does it sense the temperature zones in the cabin?)

Thanks for answering a puzzling question!

Attached Thumbnails HVAC always sets itself to Feet and demist-imag0247.jpg  
Old 01-06-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Hi folks,

This one has bugged me for a while and just thought I'd ask the audience what they find on theirs. This is 2005 2.8CRD with climate control in the cabin.

Mine is left on auto all the time and I find that it almost always (99.99% of the time) sets itself to the top dial position (feet and top demister position) and never moves, so I find my feet get warm but the rest of me remains cold!

Is this common, a fault or just a poor cabin sensing system (And how does it sense the temperature zones in the cabin?)

Thanks for answering a puzzling question!

I don't see it as a fault andyb2000, its common to all, there are 18 settings [no rear cabin vents] to choose from [not counting speed of fans, centre top neck height, side windows etc] and everyone will have a different opinion. This, the auto setting goes windscreen & middle vent in the very large volume cabin. Choosing any other 'manual' settings will give your preferred mix of what's best for you. I've tried it both ways and find fully auto / high temp / high fan and let it do its delay thing the best fit for me. After a couple of miles I just knock the high-fan rocker switch to low. Best of luck.

BTW the old batteryMOD 33K Ω @ 1/2 watt which gave me the 13.9+ now changed to 22K Ω @ 1/2 watt now gives me the sustained 14.5 old school charging rate I was striving for now that we are @ (-)°C. I've tested the battery with my cheepo 'ray-gun' after a 1 hour run and there's no alarming rise in temp.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:10 AM

I never use the auto setting for that reason. In this weather I want all the warm air on my hands and feet. I only direct it to the windscreen to defrost/demist it.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:40 AM

Thanks fellas, at least it matches what I see too, I'm going to have a read up on the wiring diagrams to see if I can find the method of cabin temperature sensing it uses just out of interest.

QinteQ - Yes I've never been sure if it was a fault or just how it works so tend to do the same as you, leave it auto high generally and then move it after a bit of driving.
Also, yes I've done the same with the batteryMOD and I'm getting 14.4 approx charging, so good news.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by andyb2000
Thanks fellas, at least it matches what I see too, I'm going to have a read up on the wiring diagrams to see if I can find the method of cabin temperature sensing it uses just out of interest.

QinteQ - Yes I've never been sure if it was a fault or just how it works so tend to do the same as you, leave it auto high generally and then move it after a bit of driving.
Also, yes I've done the same with the batteryMOD and I'm getting 14.4 approx charging, so good news.
I've honestly found that even with the great volume of cold air in a GV, the air-dam rad + Webasto the auto count down goes off and the hot matrix air starts with a vengeance in just 3 or 4 minutes, mind you I no longer drive around in a short sleeved white cotton tee shirt as I used to. The only reason I "knock the high-fan rocker switch to low" is to lower the noise of the fan, and yes the 22K Ω stops the dog that was IOD barking. The 12v 40W Bosch monocrystalline windscreen panel I was going to trial is now on the back burner as it may never be needed and a GV's bad starting may have found a permanent fix. BTW the bloke selling the preferred panel in the UK went from £78 up to £118 and down again to £86 since the beginning of December and I note that the widely sold ugly 10a 12v only controller has a sexy looking digital alternative at the same £20 price point, but this one does 24v as well.

Last edited by QinteQ; 01-10-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: insert URL's