Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Imobiliser problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 AM
Default Imobiliser problem

A mate has a 1997 Voyager 2.0 in the UK. He tried replacing the stereo over the weekend and now the car wont start.

Neither of the fobs will unlock the doors (although after using the key to gain entry everything works as it should - windows/wipers/aircon etc), and the engine wont even turn over, let alone start.

After lots of googling about immobiliser problems on this model, I rang a UK dealer and he stated that he was concerned that the engine wont even start, let alone having the mobiliser looked at.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to what the owner can try? Will the immobiliser need recoding or replacing? Should he be as concerned as the Chrysler service guy about the engine not starting?

Any ideas gratefully received (I did suggest scrapping the car and buying another, but that just made him angry!!).

Old 08-21-2013, 02:17 PM

On a 97 it's the BCM that handles the security system. It's typical fail symptom is a start with a quick stall so your symptom is a bit unusual. You could try disconnecting the negative battery cable a few minutes to try to reset everything. I suppose you've already tried reinstalling the old radio. If you can get it to the dealer they can scan the system looking for codes and/or reprogram the BCM.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 08-21-2013 at 02:26 PM.