Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Intermittent bad shifting.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:31 AM
Default Intermittent bad shifting.

Hooray and hallelujah! Finally found what was causing this wierd and irritating problem -- it was me all the time!

As with many american drivers with autobox, I use left foot for brake, right foot for accelerator, and I've been driving this way for over 30 years. I didn't realize some of the time I had my foot JUST resting on the brake pedal. This was enough to inhibit fuel control prior to a shift.

Then I listened to the brake action with engine off. The relay clicks "on" when pedal is pressed, but doesn't click "off" until foot is RIGHT OFF the pedal altogether. The relay must have been sending a rogue signal to the control micro fouling up the shift sequence with my foot being still on the pedal.

Quod erat desperandum.

Leedsman.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:16 PM

Happy days mate! Glad you got that one sorted! You will be changing your discs and pads a little less often! Plus mpg will go up

Old 09-19-2014, 01:47 PM

At least you didn't call it a Gremlin in the Machine.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Leedsman
As with many american drivers with autobox, I use left foot for brake, right foot for accelerator, and I've been driving this way for over 30 years. .

That seems so very weird to me... My Benz is automatic but I can't imagine driving an automatic using two feet..

Old 09-19-2014, 02:34 PM

Here's a quick lesson to drive an automatic
How to Drive a Car With an Automatic Transmission: 15 Steps

Old 09-19-2014, 06:54 PM

I don't believe my fellow 'yorkie' admitted that, I applaud however the honesty. Please try to REM what you were, with good reason .. .. taught when you were given an ODL:

"""take your foot off the brake, use the same foot to press the gas pedal gently, and the car will begin to move faster"""

Old 09-20-2014, 05:45 AM

No-one need worry, I make sure my left foot is turned leftward now away from the brake pedal.

Currently I have another small problem. Since the MOT and directly afterward I have felt a "pulsing" when applying the brakes. I assumed that could be 'warping' of a brake disc due to the tester applying a lot of force to the pedal during test. It has become steadily worse. Indeed, it proved to be located at the driver's (UK) side front disc.
When I rotated the disc by hand, there proved to be no warping whatsoever, despite very accurate measurement. However, when a small section of the disc entered the the brakepad/caliper assy., extra friction was observed. Otherwise the rest of the disc was as usual, like with the many cars I've played with in the past.

I've researched the matter, and it seems that among professionals such as racing drivers, "warping" of a cast-iron disc is unknown even when run red-hot with braking. I also happen to know cast iron cannot be "bent" -- if you try, it will just crack. There are steel discs on common road cars, but they are a bit of a rarity. It seems warping is one of those myths that just seem to catch on for no partic. reason. One pro. I read claims the effect is produced by a tiny bit of brake pad material coating the disc in a particular spot, indeed the brakepad can leave an imprint on the disc just as if it had been printed on.

Because of the utter hardness of these discs, only a garnet paper abrasive disc for my abor and drill will work to grind off this nuisance material from the brakedisc, so I'm off to the shops now to get some. I'll post results in due course...

Leedsman.