Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Key fob remote function intermittent?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Default Key fob remote function intermittent?

I just purchased a new-used 2013 T&C with only 5.5k miles. When the vehicle is "cold", (engine not running for at least 4+ hours... it's cold, right?), both key fobs will remote open, close all doors and unlock and lock the doors. After running the vehicle for 15 minutes or so, and shutting down, the fobs no longer work any remote function. I have to use the "analog/hard key" to open the door if locked. However, I can "manually button operate" all doors, windows, the hatch, etc.

I've taken the vehicle into my local dealer, and they were able to replicate the malfunction, and have contacted Chrysler engineering, now awaiting an answer. I was told by the dealer that they couldn't find any bulletins, updates or anything for this type of malfunction. So they're perplexed.

I am of the opinion that it's a "heat related issue", going possibly to a circuit breaker. (?) That might explain why things work, at least for awhile, and then after the vehicle is running for a bit, maybe a break that serves that function opens, for whatever reason....... and only after it cools, does it reset. I don't know what shares the resettable breaker (if it is a breaker), with the two boxes that work as receivers for the remote function.

Any ideas? I just took the vehicle in yesterday, so it's only been 24hrs, but I expect an answer from Chrysler within 72hours or less.

Thanks, Al in SoCal.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:31 PM

Interesting im waiting to hear the outcome

Old 04-04-2014, 10:50 AM

Pete... I took the vehicle into the dealer on Tuesday, 04 01 14, and was told by the dealer that they contacted Chrysler that same day. Since they couldn't do anything to the vehicle until hearing from Chrysler, I took the vehicle home. Since then, I've not heard back from the dealer. So I called Chrysler customer service again yesterday, 04 03 14, and asked that they document my issue formally, but give the dealer until today, Friday, to contact me with an update. The Chrysler customer service rep did offer to contact the dealer customer service manager, but I asked they hold off, as I didn't want to create an "issue" and possible attitude. It's possible the dealer has been waiting on Chrysler. But regardless, I did tell Chrysler that in lieu of any concrete engineering input, I wanted the entire remote system, assuming it has to be within the two modules, (WIN and something else (?) ), to be replaced. Let them figure out the issue on a test bench. I just want to get the vehicle and remote functions back to an operable level. I'll add to the thread as I get more info and/or get resolution.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 AM

Hi Thanks for That Al im Having A Similar Problem when i had my 2003 grand voyager a few months back i never had a fob with it and it has electric side doors so really it needs the fob working i contacted the main dealer about the fob who gave me a part no that turned out to be wrong when i checked it out anyway went back to them they admitted the mistake ive now purchased the right one brand new and having problems trying to get someone to programme it to the car as a couple of company's have tried and failed i have found someone who maybe can do it now but even that's not certain.. so it looks like i may have to get the dealer to do it .... the remote system has been checked for faults and none where found by one of the independent company's i went to but even he couldn't rule out if any of the sensors where bad i just hope that if i take it to Chrysler they will charge me even if they cant do it plus telling me any faults but at the moment it looks like like i will be going down that road

Old 04-09-2014, 01:31 PM
Default 2013 Town and Country key fob no remote door functions

UPDATE WED., APRIL 9, 2014:
I dropped off my 2013 Chrysler Town and Country this AM at my dealer in San Juan Capistrano, CA. Got a call from my service writer two hours later. Good news, as he says they found "one other similar case" of a 2013 T&C with similar mfg date, and "key fob not operating remote functions", along with "tire pressure indicator randomly coming on." I've actually had the tire indicator coming on as though it's been overly sensitive. However, recent "cold to hot" weather here in SoCal took the 37psi tire pressure to 41psi during a 90degree F day this week. (tires were running low so I did a slight over-inflate) I think a nitrogen fill may resolve the high ambient-heat fluctuations in our area.

RESOLUTION:
The successful repair for the other T&C was to replace the WIN module. So my dealer has ordered the new WIN module from L.A., and it should be in tomorrow AM. The vehicle could be ready early afternoon Thursday. I may become very religious tomorrow...... praying for successful repair via this "remove and replace" procedure. I'll repost again with the results. But this is promising, seeing as the malfunction was discovered in another vehicle built at the same time; August 2013.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Default Remote Functions Restored & Tire Pressure Indicator fixed...!

IF YOUR KEY FOB REMOTE FUNCTIONS ARE INTERMITTENT; WORKING IN THE MORNING, WHEN VEHICLE IS GARAGED, OR OUT OF DIRECT SUN AND COOL... BUT THEN NOT OPENING DOORS WHEN VEHICLE HAS BEEN IN SUN/HEATED UP.... this could be the problem. Additionally, you may also be experiencing the "Tire Pressure Indicator" as being overly sensitive; lighting w-chime alarm even after you've adjusted tire pressure.

Here is the repair entry on my work order. The WCM or WIN module sits directly under the dash, and evidently can be operationally sensitive to heat, either from a hot dashboard, or from the heat generated from the operating of the vehicle. (?):

Customer states that both RKE FOBIKS will not function correctly. Diagnose and advise. Door locks will not work after vehicle sits; wireless control module internal failure. Module goes to sleep. Found Star Case #60418025. Related to concern also I have stored DTC's C1501, C1502, C1503. C1504M TPS internal all tires per Star Case #60418025 replaced WCM I had to remove the dash pad, radio, and steering column covers to acess module, replace and reprogram modeule and keys to new module. Retest working correctly at this time.

Hope this helps others........ best, Al in SoCal

Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 AM

Here's some added information about the WCM or what I believe is now called the WIN module. This was pulled from, I believe, the Dodge Challenger Forum:

The Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) is located behind the instrument panel trim to the right of the steering column and controls/contains the following functions:
Ignition Switch
Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS)
Remote Keyless Entry (RKE)
Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM)
Brake Transmission Shifter Interlock (BTSI)
Steering Column Lock Interface (Intrusion - BUX RHD only)
Remote Start

Old 06-02-2014, 10:12 AM

Hi Al Sterling,
when you can't open door with fob from outside and you open car with key,did you engine start normally and your dasboard light work normally too? Thank's K.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Default Will Car Start even though you don't have remote function?

Well, as I remember..... I was using the manual key to enter the vehicle, and then simply inserted the fob into the ignition and turned as normal. The fob did start the car.

However..... I do remember someone complaining that in addition to the doors not operating remotely, their fob also failed to start the car. I would think that you would have the batteries changed in the fob, and then you'd have the fob checked by a certified/auto-electric mechanic. (?) Each malfunction, as we all would agree, can very easily be "that one issue", that doesn't follow the behaviors of other malfunctioning systems. But at least you have my Chrysler dealer's response, which might give you a head start. Good luck, Al

Originally Posted by Kamilstrom
Hi Al Sterling,
when you can't open door with fob from outside and you open car with key,did you engine start normally and your dasboard light work normally too? Thank's K.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:16 AM

hi again

i still have the problem with my voyager ive since had another locksmith to try and reprogram my new key fob to the car and it is the right one same part number as checked with the dealers and its a new fob the anyway he could not get to program and he also checked the rke system with his diagnostic machine and found no faults the main dealer wants £100 pound to program the key to the car maybe that's my only option.. also tell me if its normal as to when i pull the IOD fuse and leave it then when i replace it i hear a beep from the front of the car and the alarm comes on and stays on until i put the key back in the ign and start the car which starts normally

Pete.....

Quick Reply: Key fob remote function intermittent?