Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knocking sounds over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Default knocking sounds over bumps

Hi,

I have a 01 Town and country and since the past few months i hear a strong knocking sound underneath the van from the front areas everytime i go over bumps slowly. it vibrates and travels up to the steering column. it s getting worse over time.

Anyone have an idea of the issue or experienced it? Is there a known weak point in the strut that i am unaware of?

Any advice would be welcome, thanx !

Old 01-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Default RE: knocking sounds over bumps

I would check your sway bar bushings. Also your strut links. I have an '04 AWD and I know there were TSB's on this for many 4th generation vans. The sway bar job is quite easy. Do it first.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:02 PM
ace

yeah most likely the bushings (make sure they run the vin to get you the correct ones at the dealership)
that should fix the problem
if its not them then the links should be your next check.
after that well the price starts to go up and it might be your steering rack.

good luck

Old 11-21-2006, 06:13 AM

Hi

I've had my '01 2.5CRD SE for a couple of weeks and random things are happening which are quite disconcerting. I also hear a knocking over bumps which seems to come from front-right wheel region. However, when I turn the steering wheel it reaches a certain point and there is a "clunk" feeling through the steering wheel (and pedals). It's only slight at the moment, but I don't want it escalate. When the vehicle is stationery and the wheel is straight, the "clunk" happens when the wheel is turned about half way (180°), and it's usually only when I turn it clockwise.

Could it be the sway bar bushings and strut links mentioned below, or steering rack?

The other problem that's developed, which I guess should come under a separate topic (I'll post a new message as well) is that I get a judder from the engine when I gently press or release the accelerator. I've also noticed about a 20% drop in power - it doesn't accelerate as fast, like the turbo is half asleep. Oh, and the speedometer and odometer have stopped working, but I've read a possible fix for this elsewhere in the forum. ALL THIS IN THE SAME WEEK!

Thanks

Gordon

Old 12-07-2006, 01:16 AM

sway bar bushings, just had someone I work with get them done, cost her about $90 bucks. I also have 2 friends who are looking to have it done as well. my 01 with 110,000 miles hasn't needed them yet thankfully.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 PM

I have an 03 T&C which appears to have the similar sound. I check the sway bar to strut bushings, but they do not appear to be the issue. The noise and the clunk on my van appears to come from the top of the spring/strut when the steering wheel is turned. It happens predominately when turning and going over slight bump like turning into a driveway. Don't know what this is, but it is annoying.

I did have a squeaking sound when turning and going over small bumps. This was the bushing in the right sway bar mount. I used a needle hooked to a grease gun and greased under the rubber of the mount and have not heard the squeak since (about 15k miles ago). During the hunt for this squeak. i used WD40 and other lubes all aroung the spring/strut upper mount. It may be a coincidence, but the clunking started after this liberal lubing of the upper spring/strut mount.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 PM

also check the front lower wishbone rear bushes had these go on my 02

Old 10-20-2011, 07:19 AM

For the turning clunks, very well could be the struts need replacing. Ours did that. Changed with Monroe quick struts, problem fixed. Something was bad that alloed the spring to shift (pad was bad/worn)... something like that.

That was after putting on new sway bar bushings and end links (greasable, moogs for all).

Google it, youtube it, I recall step by step instructions for all.

Good luck,

JK

Old 10-22-2011, 08:43 AM

JK,

Your issue sounds the same as mine. When the wife turns the wheel, I carefully reached up and seems like I felt the pad for the spring do the clunking. However, it seems like something has got to turn with the spring as it piivots with the steering. My shocks seem fine, and I hate to spend the money for new struts and alignment. I wish I could see an exploded view of the spring/pad and understand how it is suppose to work.

I have a 92 van with 346K mile and don't believe the pad on top of the spring was replace with the struts and the struts have beem replaced ~3 times. I have never experienced this clunk on any other vehicle with struts.

I haven't heard the brand Moog for some time. It is good to know they make graspable pivots. A trick that I learned is using a needle with grease fitting for non graspable ball joints etc. This makes a very very small hole (that pretty well seals itself). Years ago, I purchased this form NAPA and have used it on several vehicles.

JWA

Old 10-22-2011, 09:06 AM

They might have called it a strut mount.. part is inexpensive, but need to remove struts to replace, using a spring compressor. I wasn't experienced with using one and that could lead to injury (-:.. I went the quick strut route so I knew everything was new. Got them from rockauto, with 5% discount plus a mail-in rebate.

I'd think even replacing the strut mount, you'd have to get an alignment.

My dealer is very good as they'll diganose things for me and then give me the option to fix myself.

Good luck.

JK

Quick Reply: knocking sounds over bumps