Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking air conditioning unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Default leaking air conditioning unit

When I run the air conditioning there is water leaking in the floor board of the passenger side. I took the van to the local dealer who told me it needed a new O ring. They kept the van two days and charged $50 to replace the O ring. The problem continues I took the van back and asked them to check the drain line since there seems to be no water draining on the ground after I park. After looking at the van for over an hour they tell me it needs a new "seal" because the old one has deteroiated, the cost will be $700 to replace this seal because they have to completely remove the dash in order to get to it.
Any suggestions? How can I check myself to see if the drain line is clogged causing the water to back up and leak.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: leaking air conditioning unit

what year and engine size?

Old 06-29-2007, 01:24 PM

2003 town and country...with 3.3L V6 OHV

Old 06-29-2007, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

What happens is the outlet that is outside of the van when driving the air will force the water back into the hvac housing and stay inside. The o ring that thay are talking about is for the drain tube. IF they did that what they want to do is take out the housing and put a new seal between the firewall and the hvac housing. A cheaper and once was a tsb for this u apply RTV around the hose on the outside and seal up where the water would come back in. Or a way I have done it was make a tube at a 90 degree angle down so the water is directed down and air flow will not push it back into the cabin.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:06 PM

I had the same trouble recently w/03 Town & Country. Pulled back carpeting and padding to allow for placement of fan to aid in drying carpet. Purchased a Evaperator drain tube extension from Dealer for $7. Need to place over drain tube beyond slot in bottom to prevent water from running back along tube to firewall. (I applied some dishwashing liquid to make the extension tube slide easier. A little hard to get to, butis possible. May need a hose clamp. Didn't put one on mine though and has held fine for 2 months now. If you haven't already gone to the dealer, don't spend all that money until you try this first. I learned about it on this forum. Good Luck!

Old 07-01-2007, 08:36 PM

Pepe --If you are using the recirculation mode on the A/C, don't. Your car will never build up enough air pressure in the cabin to force the water out the drain. The drain is probably behind the alternator on the firewall. You might try to see if you can unplug it with something from the engine compartment side.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:11 PM

THANKS FOR ALL THE ASSISTANCE....