Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left indicators not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 04:44 AM
Default Left indicators not working

Hi good people, I have looked through your forums and can't quite find what I am after.

My problem lies with the indicators on my Chrysler Grand Voyager (1999 3.3l auto). The right ones work fine, but the left ones do nothing (front and rear). The Hazards only activate the right side. I have checked the bulbs and all are good.

I am poorer than a church mouse at the moment, so cannot afford an auto sparky. I am handy with a multimeter, if anyone can give me some indication (no pun intended) of how to proceed with fault finding, it would be more than helpful.

Thank you for your time taken to read this, and hello from Australia.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:20 PM
tfb

The indicators are fed from the BCM (body control module). The BCM has 4 outputs, one for each corner.

If the hazards are also no working on the same side then it's likely to be the BCM I'm afraid, if the hazards were working but not the indicators then the indicator stalk would be worth looking at. As it's both front and rear then it's not likely to be a ground issue either.

Circuit diagrams can be found here
https://drive.google.com/#folders/0B...TdfQldWeUZXZ0k

Regards
Richard

Old 08-30-2014, 07:38 PM

All lights (park/running/brake/turn) on left side dead - 15 amp fuse #5 on the under dash fuse panel (junction block). Dead give away the fuse is blown - no license plate lights

Just turn sig lights - tfb has ya there.

Disconnect the rear light assembly connector and test for power and ground with your meter.
Pin 1 - turn sig power from BCM (dark green/red wire)
Pin 2&3 - not used
Pin 4 - park/running lights power (brown/yellow)
Pin 5 - stop/brake lamp power (white/tan)
Pin 6 - common ground (black)

Front
Pin 1 - turn sig power (light green wire)
Pin 2 - park/running lights power (brown/yellow)
Pin 3 - ground (black)

Last edited by Raptor 07; 08-30-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:16 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Lights all working except indicators, fuses good, will start testing pins for power and work backwards.

GH

Old 08-30-2014, 09:18 PM

Thanks Richard, will start exploring further as per your advice. (wiring diagram will be most useful).

Old 08-31-2014, 04:10 AM

Have you tried the good old standby, disconnecting the battery -ve for a few minutes, then reconnecting? Costs nothing in time or money, always a chance it might fixit. You never know with microprocessers. If no luck, you can go onto something else. My motto:
"Always go for the simple-easy things first". Fuses are another one like that. Sometimes a lamp-bulb goes s/c. and blows the fuse. I would also after the preceding examine the BCM for signs of corrosion etc., another simple-easy job. Is there a relay involved in the lights circuit?

Leedsman.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:01 AM

Leedsman, that idea was so inspiring that I raced out and tried it... It didn't work, but for a few moments I was genuinely excited. You are right, sometimes it's the simple things, not this time unfortunately. It was worth a go though.

Thanks for looking out for me.

From what I can see from the advice given, and my tests so far, the BCM is looking more and more the culprit (I have had the ABS light intermittently staying on over the last severeal months). I was really hoping something a little more straight forward would be the problem.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, this is a rather friendly place, I am glad I found it.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:59 AM

Two further question on this unresolved problem. I can hear the relay clicking when the right indicators are flashing, but obviously nothing when the left are activated. The relay appears to be in the under-dash fuse block (not quite sure). Is there separate relays for each side (could this be the problem)? Is this before or after the BCM (which I hope is not the problem)?

Regards
GH

Old 09-01-2014, 06:43 AM

I think you are on a productive track there Mr. Holmes. If there are two relays, see if they will swap over. I thought there could be relays involved as one clicks away for my footbrake light as I apply it to operate the starter. (Auto-box, must be in park or neutral + foot on brake B4 starter will operate).

Leedsman.