Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little help please with smoking!...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Question A little help please with smoking!...

Hi guys

I have a 56 plate 2.8L Diesel Grand Voyager XS that has done 84k. I've serviced it using a 100% Motul full synth and all (Oil,Air,Pollen,Fuel) new filters and the MAF cleaned with CRC spray. I've put BG244 in the Shell V-Power fuel as well as Archoil AR6200/AR6400.

I bought this car used (82k on clock) and it always had a bit of an exhaust smell (Hard to explain) and its starting to smoke really badly when driving! But doesn't seem to smoke that bad when you're in park and you rev it up! I've even tried an "Italian" tune up but nothing seems to work.

The car doesn't seem to use any oil (No blue smoke) and the coolant isn't being used either! The smoke looks like a kinda "Grey" color! I'm wondering if an injector(s) is going or maybe an EGR problem? No fault codes apart from P0487 and no lack of power or dash lights.

Could anyone shed some light on what the problem could be? before the car ends up gassing us all to death?

Last edited by TimmyTim; 06-18-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:23 PM

No takers on this subject guys?

Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 PM

Not going to get much help from across the pond. No diesel vans here.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:28 AM
tfb

P0487 is an EGR/throttle fault - so smoking is not unusual.

There is a flap on the EGR system that restricts or allows air from the intake system. When it is shut more is drawn from the EGR valve. Sounds like yours is stuck or not being actuated.

there is a lack of decent information on this system, so your best bet is to visually trace the intake system and vacuum control lines to find out which solenoid operates it. The wife has our car so I can't look at mine for you.

Regards
Richard

Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tfb
P0487 is an EGR/throttle fault - so smoking is not unusual.

There is a flap on the EGR system that restricts or allows air from the intake system. When it is shut more is drawn from the EGR valve. Sounds like yours is stuck or not being actuated.

there is a lack of decent information on this system, so your best bet is to visually trace the intake system and vacuum control lines to find out which solenoid operates it. The wife has our car so I can't look at mine for you.

Regards
Richard
You're a diamond mate

I wondered if the EGR was working as it should! Think I'll buy a new valve as I can pick up a new genuine VM one (With gasket) for £162. I think the main dealer wanted close to £500!!! I'll clean the pipe out to.

Cheers

Tim

Old 06-21-2013, 05:46 AM
tfb

Don't buy a new part until you have tested the old one and proven where the fault is!. I might not be the valve, it could be the control solenoid, wiring, vacuum pipes etc.

Regards
Richard

Old 06-22-2013, 03:33 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tfb
Don't buy a new part until you have tested the old one and proven where the fault is!. I might not be the valve, it could be the control solenoid, wiring, vacuum pipes etc.

Regards
Richard
Not sure how I'd check the control solenoid tbh. How would I do that
The EGR valve on my Avensis T-180 is a real easy take off and clean as it's at the front of the engine and a complete unit! No pipes or controls apart from the electrical plug

Old 06-22-2013, 07:23 AM

hi it sounds like it's smoking when the engine is under load, could be the fuel pump giving the wrong mixture and might need calibrating?

Old 06-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Kingy
hi it sounds like it's smoking when the engine is under load, could be the fuel pump giving the wrong mixture and might need calibrating?

I've not looked to see if this engine has a mechanical pump or a ECU controlled one?

Old 06-22-2013, 01:23 PM
tfb

with regard to the fuel pump, it's a common rail system. Fueling is unlikely to be an issue without showing an error code - though it is possible.

Testing a vacuum solenoid is easy enough. Get a cheap vacuum gauge from amazon or ebay (about £10-£15) and "T" it into to the line from the soleniod to the device being controlled, put a multi meter across the electrical connection to the solenoid, take it for a drive and look for correlated changes in both.

Regards
Richard

Quick Reply: A little help please with smoking!...