Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Locating transmission leak, '96 T&C

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Default Locating transmission leak, '96 T&C

Greetings:
I'm new to this site and to T&Cs.
This van is for sale. The seller allowed me to drive it home and I checked underneath. Seller admitted the transmission leaked and that for the last two years she had been driving it untill it slipped, wherupon she would then add more ATF to keep it going. There are other issues as well, but the selling price is very low and this seems the major problem. Amazingly it appears to shift smoothly after having had such treatment.
No leaks are apparent on the pavement when it is parked. Up on ramps with engine running I see no dripping and aside from a bit of seepage around the pan gasket I see no sign of a major leak. I can't imagine that such a serious leak wouldn't show somewhere underneath, but all is dry.
At this point I wouldn't know where to begin to hunt for the leak source.
Any thoughts?
Also, at 60 mph the tach shows about 2000 rpm. My Stratus 2.4 turns closer to 2500 at 60. Could the T&C be geared taller than the Stratus?
Thank you,
Roy.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Default What's happening?

Hello again,
Not only did I not get a reply to my post, I see there's a check mark opposite my post title.
What does this mean?
Anyway, I failed to say this is a 3.3 and that I was only able to take the van to my house and get it up on ramps long enough for a quick look underneath, add enough ATF-4 to test drive it properly, get the tires pumped up, test the lights. etc., thanks to the seller being agreeable to my doing this. Even in that short span of time I should have been able to see a coating of ATF all over the place that would have been consistent with a major leak. So that mystery was what prompted my post.
I did (I think) answer my own question about rpms at speed, based on some Gen II specs that show 2080 rpm per mile. So I assume the Gen III specs would be similar.
Roy.