Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Locking Wheel Nuts...

Old 04-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Default Locking Wheel Nuts...

Hi guys, Was just going to sort out my rear brakes Caliphers where the pistons are still sticking. Jacked up and placed on stands, tested wheels and the're dragging...Wheels off...yes and no....seem to have misplaced my locking wheel nut tool/key of which I had only one....Weekend repair waisted or what..
So guys I take it, its Chrysler for a replacement key/tool...
Or I'm thinking of removing locking nuts with a removal tool and replacing with ordinary nuts. Any of you's recommended a locking nut removal tool.
Prob will need to find scrappie for 4 nuts as well...
Goggs...

Old 04-28-2013, 02:18 AM
tfb

depending on what type of locking nut and clearance around it, I've had some luck just hammering an old socket over the top of the nut. Drilling out can be a bit of a sod to do as it's hard to keep the drill centred and not damage the wheel.

Regards

Richard

Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 AM
Default Locking Wheel Nuts.

Hi again. As usual forgot to mention cars a 2003 Grande Voyager CRD LTD.
Yes tfb you have the thoughts that come to us all, knocking on a heated socket came to me too, but well the wheels are not supposed to be able to be removed without this key/tool.
Machine Mart have a locking wheel nut removal tool which by looking at them come as a set of left hand screwed nuts to go over the locking nut.
Do they work, I've no idea, they are reminicent of some stud extractors which might be better.
Should have taken a note of the numbers of my nut tool the last time I used it, as at one point I thought a might need it some day.
Heres a picture of the nut anyway.
Goggs.

Last edited by goggs; 04-28-2013 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Picture added problem.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:24 AM
Default Locking Wheel Nut Picture.

Hi lets try again for a picture.

Attached Thumbnails Locking Wheel Nuts...-locking-nut-1.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
Hi lets try again for a picture.
- take your vehicle ownership docs to a supplier seller and beg a trial and error fit with 6 or so variables, find the one that fits, and re-buy it
- if you have the original invoice for the security bolt purchase most Thatcham approved ones had a re-order security code number
- if you ask 10 mates if you can try their security socket the odds are you might find one that's identical
- as 'tfb' said most fitters brae on a socket and long bar it off - always a risk, but 99% do it

Best of luck

Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM

Hi, cars left on stands, wheels turn with drag. Working away and using my trusty 2.1TD Espace at mo...Definately no comparison.
Looking into getting replacement key/tool or swaging on a 17mm bore steel tube as thats the route size of the wheel nut.
Will keep you's all posted next weekend....
Goggs..

Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 PM

Hi, cars left on stands, wheels turn with drag. Working away and using my trusty 2.1TD Espace at mo...Definately no comparison.
Looking into getting replacement key/tool or swaging on a 17mm bore steel tube as thats the route size of the wheel nut.
Will keep you's all posted next weekend....
Goggs..
- you could always go the 'old school' way, a 1/4" cutting and chipping of metals type chisel
- if you live anywhere close I have some, - brutal - but effective
- might need to recut the thread when done

Old 04-30-2013, 04:20 PM

Hi To Date, new set of locking nuts and key ordered via Chrysler main dealer, £24 odds. Intension is to hire locking nut extractor from my MOT/Repair garage...
God all this because I've mislayed/lost this key tool..And bet I'll find it some day...
Goggs..

Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM

Hi To Date, new set of locking nuts and key ordered via Chrysler main dealer, £24 odds. Intention is to hire locking nut extractor from my MOT/Repair garage...
God all this because I've mislaid/lost this key tool..And bet I'll find it some day...
Goggs..
- I'll bet you find it an hour after you've paid out the 'wonka' - sodds law - we all make mistakes don't we ?