Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Default Losing coolant

Hi

Ok I bought a 2005 voyager a few weeks ago and it has ran ok up until a few days ago. The heater started blowing cold so I checked the reservoir to find it bone dry ( this was full when i got the car) I topped up and within a few hours it was dry again. There are no visible leaks anywhere. I topped up again and drove around ten miles. Checked the water level and it was fine. I drove a further ten miles home and parked up. I got back in the car an hour later and within a few minutes the heater was blowing cold again and the temp began to creep up. I pulled over to find the water bottle empty again. I topped up and took the car to a local garage who cannot find any leaks. they have topped up the coolant tank and advised that I monitor its usage and report back!! Any ideas anybody?? the car does not blow any smoke out and the oil appears to be ok (black not brown and no signs of water in it). Any guidance much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2013, 03:11 PM
tfb

pressure test the cooling system.
If there are no visible signs of leaks then it's most likely that the head gasket has failed.
But a pressure test and UV dye in the coolant and a UV lamp should be the first step.

Regards
Richard

Old 11-27-2013, 03:18 PM

Thanks Richard, apparently the garage pressure tested the cooling system and found nothing. But then again they also filled the system and found no loss of fluid so... I think Ill try the UV dye and light idea, take it for a run and see what that shows up. Failing that I will take a large branch and batter the car Basil Fawlty style.....

Thanks again

Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

3.3 or 3.8 engine look at the water pump or radiator or the metal line from the water pump to the lower hose or the rear heater core lines.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:04 AM

Ok guys problem solved, the leak was from the lines supplying the heater in the rear (thanks Chrysler Tech). They had corroded and were leaking when cold. They appear to be a nightmare to remove completely so we have cut the corroded sections out and replaced them with reinforced rubber lines. Job done, no longer leaking and no astronomical repair bill for a head gasket, one happy chap....