Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini exhaust outlet

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:25 AM
Default Mini exhaust outlet

Hi guys, new to the forum and new to the Chrysler voyager. Whilst parking this morning I noticed a lot of oily smoke coming from under the car, when I got out and checked I noticed it was coming from a little mini exhaust pipe on the near side towards the middle if the car, just wondered what it was?.
Is it something to do with heating system ? As the smoke seemed to stop when I switched if the heater, cheers.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:33 AM
tfb

there is an auxiliary heater under the car which is used to speed up the engine warm up time. It won't cut in unless there is more that 1/4 tank of fuel and you should have a light on the dash when it's operating (3 wavy lines in yellow, I think)

Regards
Richard

Old 02-01-2014, 05:50 AM
Default Mini Exhaust

Originally Posted by tfb
there is an auxiliary heater under the car which is used to speed up the engine warm up time. It won't cut in unless there is more that 1/4 tank of fuel and you should have a light on the dash when it's operating (3 wavy lines in yellow, I think)

Regards
Richard
Thanks Richard, i don't see the lights you refer to on the dash, but saying that for some strange reason none of the control lights are working on the dash at the moment. The speedo section is fine but the rest on the center console have gone out? maybe its just the fuse?. I think i have less a 1/4 of petrol at the moment its pretty low, mainly wondered why it was so smokey??.

Cheers

Rich

Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 AM

The aux-heater is directly under the drivers seat. It makes a jet-engine whistle when working, a more noticeably audible jet-engine whistle when its switched off and is empting its 'burn bowl' of un-burnt carbon fuel. Its smokey because at that point there is no ignition-burn of the fuel .. .. its just being forced out of a turbine by a very fast fan.

NOTE: The above relates to Diesel not petrol powered cars, if your car is petrol it may have a petrol powered aux-heater, certainly petrol existed and was used before CRD's came along.

Last edited by QinteQ; 02-01-2014 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Petrol comment
Old 02-01-2014, 02:31 PM

QinteQ...its under the passenger seat if its right hand drive/uk and Driver side if US/Europe.
I had to take mine out when it cracked its heat exchanger.
Thinking of replacing it with a 240v one.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
QinteQ...its under the passenger seat if its right hand drive/uk and Driver side if US/Europe.
I had to take mine out when it cracked its heat exchanger.
Thinking of replacing it with a 240v one.
HiYa goggsie. I would swear its under the driver on mine, I'll check next time I 'ramp' it. On a different subject I had a look at my coolant a couple of days ago it was like a thin smoothie - far too many solids in there - another job next time will be G05 and some ASDA ionised at £2.60 a gallon. Where's the drain tap on the RAD ?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:41 AM

Yes drain tap mention quite a few times on here, I've yet to find it. Now regarding left and right in engine compartment we take these positions From drivers seat view and not while looking under the bonnet. A lot of people get confused on this one. They say Rad drain is on right side, but I find it easier to just pull the bottom hose off. My worst scenario here is of drain **** braking off if I force it open.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
Yes drain tap mention quite a few times on here, I've yet to find it. Now regarding left and right in engine compartment we take these positions From drivers seat view and not while looking under the bonnet. A lot of people get confused on this one. They say Rad drain is on right side, but I find it easier to just pull the bottom hose off. My worst scenario here is of drain **** braking off if I force it open.
Drain **** is always a real risk I agree. My reason for not using the bottom hose is my [very] old school approach to coolant change.

- top bottle [expansion tank] cap-off
- heater set to on at 80F
- bog standard garden hose with variable flow into top bottle
- drain from system at 'x' litres per min - replace to system at a regulated 'x' litres per min
- when all is clear water, engine off and drain off 12 pints[ish], **** or bottom hose closed
- replace with a gallon of 05 and a gallon of ionised
- bleed air, press up and still with heater full whack top up with ionised to level

Just my way, but all parts, rad, matrix, aux heater, are cleared without a risky 'back flush'. Yeah ! everyone says RHS as you see from the front.