Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

MP3's through DVD Player

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:16 PM

In other words some mp3 discs work and some don't.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
My own GV will not play any MP3's, but has a 6 slot player - 7 with the one in the radio.
It was that line that lead me to believe you had the 6 CD/DVD Autochanger and SatNav with CD drive. My English teacher in the 1950's taught me never to *** u me anything but sometimes I can't help myself.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Oxford
In other words some mp3 discs work and some don't.
- if you mean the physical round plastic disk - yes some emulsion's won't play
- some will be RW's and most players refuse to see them, they should be WORM [Write Once, Read Multiple] media that work like bog standard CDs and a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz
- one way to find out is to burn / rip 10 ordinary CDA music tracks to a disk with I assume WMP, if it plays the plastic media emulsion type and sample rate is ok for MP3's
- a better way is to burn / rip 5 ordinary music tracks [CDA's] and 5 MP3's to a disk with I assume WMP, if it plays the CDA's but not the MP3's look at the structure of your MP3's

NOTE : Windows does not like CDA's stored on the hard drive, but is happy to rip to CD or DVD. Almost any modern CD / DVD player with an AUX USB input will automatically know the *.* type and play anything thrown at it.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by cokey11
The only radio I know of that plays mp3 discs is the RAH. If someone knows of another lemme know.
There are about 5 I think, general rule [society timeline] is, by the time sat-nav became the norm Sony had lost their decade long fight against piracy / napster et al and the MP3 format came into general general use from where it had remained hidden for 20 years. There's an excellent library here on the allpar site of all things Chrysler stereo. Start here for an overview. Hope this helps !

Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by AlanC
It was that line that lead me to believe you had the 6 CD/DVD Autochanger and SatNav with CD drive. My English teacher in the 1950's taught me never to *** u me anything but sometimes I can't help myself.
HiYa Al,

- mine is an RKB V2, with the usual overhead DVD's, [the older V1 had the vertical sliders] in conjunction with the 6 disk Delphi changer.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:16 AM

I don't recognise that model. In some ways it's similar to the 6 CD multichanger I had in my 2004 GV which didn't have a DVD screen, and I don't remember it having any phono inputs either, but the radio and SatNav were seperate to the multichanger.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:33 AM

REK - this is the one that should be in all Euro GV's from 05 onward, and is the one in my car.

I always [they have done this before] suspected that some jiggery-pokery has been done by Chrysler, different country's laws permit and outlaw different capabilities not the least of which is our wonderful European Union. The scanner reads mine as an REK, not an RBK, and sure enough although it has no markings on the front it does have the 7th extra button but does not have the REK logo printed [top LHS in this pic] anywhere on the head unit. I make the assumption that the 'E' stands for the Euro-spec and that the REK joins the RBQ, RB4, RAH and REV as [hardware] unable to play MP3's because of the separate 6 disk changer unit logic and wiring. Notably this was the year that all settings, both factory and customer preference were written to the EEPROM and even the identify model/part number for repair exchange order processing could be done without having to remove the radio and the world car market was moving away from 6/10 disk changers to navigation systems in high end cars. The REK's were in addition to Chrysler - Jeep - Dodge also fitted in Mitsubishi's of the same years. So my claim in #15 that mine as a V2 RKB is wrong.

Name:  Radiofront.jpg
Views: 1419
Size:  41.6 KB

RBK - the is the non-EURO RBK version, is not the one in my car, the Huntsville RBK and has only 6 buttons.

Last edited by QinteQ; 06-27-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
REK - this is the one that should be in all Euro GV's from 05 onward, and is the one in my car.
I don't understand it then. The first pic is the setup I have in my 2007 GV. The second and third pics are the unit that was originally fitted to my 2004 GV but this was replaced by the dealer because I had the optional SatNav and 6 CD autochanger fitted. I still have the unused RAD unit in my garage because the dealer gave it to me after doing the upgrade.

Attached Thumbnails MP3's through DVD Player-dsc03468-r.jpg   MP3's through DVD Player-dsc03461-r.jpg   MP3's through DVD Player-dsc03460-r.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 03:17 PM

I'll edit this # as I go.

Yes its confusing, most of any info is only available on American sites and they will never have seen the Euro Wagon spec stereo heads, and would never need to - why would they ! For example there's zero on the REK and yet there must be millions in scrapyards from Belgium to Birmingham, equally there's zero on the REK on any site in the world including Europe which is precisely where in the world they were all shipped to and sold in, and in the case of the REK Chrysler broke their own golden 3 letter rule and did not put the sales code on the front of the set.

Its difficult to make out the three letter sales code on you pic #2 but whatever it is its clearly a version of the RAZ additionally the head [pic #3] seems to have been manufactured in Hungary not Huntsville. The RBU and RAZ are almost completely identical in appearance. Every single button and control is the same (except that the Eject button is above or below the time setting buttons); the graphics are identical but in different locations. You’d never know the RAZ was a Mitsubishi while the RBU is an Alpine. (Jim Z. also noted that the RBU is the same as the RBP stereo, except the RBU has dual play capability and a transmitter for headphones, so you can play the radio over the speakers while listening to a CD on headphones. That means I could just as easily have used an RBP.)

So in your Pic #1 the only item that's the same as mine is the unrelated zone controlled climate set. Even the Chrysler-Delphi 6 disk changer with the AV inputs is different to mine and again seems not to exist anywhere on the interwibble.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:27 PM

Use video editing and dvd authoring software to create a dvd of your songs with a blank video (as low a quality video bitrate as you can get) and you'll get a decent amount of albums on one dvd (especially if it's dual layer). Video quality does not matter (or make it a music video disc and open the fold down screen).

You can also do this with films and get half a dozen or more on one disc (very low quality video is not noticeable on the small screen).

AUX in on the dvd unit only activates when it detects a signal, at which case its processed like a 7th disc in the changer.

Quick Reply: MP3's through DVD Player