Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

My T&C sounds like a truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Default My T&C sounds like a truck

My 2009 T&C now sounds like a truck. Around 92K miles a groaning noise was audible and getting louder as the odometer increased. It was loudest between 60 and 70 mph, but it was only dependent on the car speed, not tach or gear number. Some on the Internet claimed the noise was due to bearing wear in the transfer case or differential of the 62TE transmission. I took it to the dealer, and thought because the 2009 had a lifetime drive train warranty that all would be made good. After 5 days in the shop, the only part replaced was the right drive shaft ($300 warranty). The noise was still there, and as the Repair Advisor put it, "It's a little better." The mechanic indicated that the right front hub needed to be replaced (not under warranty); so I replaced myself; a simple job. The noise is the same; the original hub was good. I have the feeling that Chrysler does not want to fix the transfer case until it totally breaks down. As I travel to and from the east coast each year, the breakdown will likely occur in the Mojave desert. Anyone else notice this groaning noise?

I am thankful that 2009 Chrysler has a Lifetime Warranty for the drive train, because both heads of the 4.0l engine had to be replaced due to leaking valves after a typical warranty would have expired. They performed the work with no issues and no charges for anything. My gas mileage had seriously suffered, as well as causing occasional misfire error codes. Kudos to Chrysler and my dealer (not the same dealer I dealt with for the differential noise issue).

Old 12-01-2014, 12:01 PM

Does the noise seem to get faster the faster you go?

Old 12-02-2014, 06:20 AM

To me and from the description of the symptoms seems like a worn out wheel bearing(s) though not likely for multiple failure.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:42 AM

It's possible that it's the tires as well. I'm only throwing that out there because it fits the description, but you'd think a dealer would catch that.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Default Speed? Wheel Bearings? Tires?

The noise does get louder as the car wnet faster, peaking between 60 and 70 mph; however, it is not dependent on the engine speed (tach) or what gear the transmission is in if any (even neutral). The noise is not the wheel bearing, because I replaced the right front wheel hub bearing. The noise is not tire noise as it is not dependent on the road surface conditions.

Even the Chrysler mechanic did not suggest any other cause for the noise and did replace the least expensive fix, the right drive shaft. Even he did not mention road noise, bearing noise as the main reasons. They apparently heard the noise like I did and attributed to the differential or transfer case. The Service Advisor even commented that their fix did not fix the noise. At 70 mph for a 3000 mile trip coast to coast it was very annoying to me. I even wondered if the thing would just disintegrate. So far, not. But when?

Old 12-06-2014, 03:44 PM

Jack the front end up and start van and run it, does it still make the noise?

Road surface wouldn't matter, if you already replaced bearing, then rotate tires to rule out tire itself.

If it speeds up going faster even if you are already in the highest gear, then that is the revolution of the tire or wheel spinning faster.

Since they replaced the axel that is all there is left.

When you get up to speed (where you can hear it), put in neutral and shut off engine, noise will still be there, so you can tell that it can only be one of those things.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:41 PM
Default My T&C Sounds like a truck.

AKA009: I am fairly sure that the noise I hear is not road noise due to the tires. When the axle was replace, the mechanic did rotate the tires. No difference. I believe the road surface would effect tire noise, since the tires are in intimate contact with the road surface. Can you point me to a reference that says otherwise.

You are correct in wanting to jack the front end up or in neutral turn off the engine; however, I don't feel comfortable doing either one of those experiments.

I have seen comments on the web about transmission whine (which has come and gone in my case) and differential noise, but nothing definitive has been said. I even saw reference to a seminar at the ATSG 2014 Conference about 62te differential noise, but information was included.