Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needing to replace PCM...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 05:41 PM

Ooooop's - I don't blame you for being confused I meant IPM not PCM. An IPM [Integrated Power Module] and fusebox are the same thing. Apologies to the group - I've just had what politicians call a 'brain fart'.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
Ooooop's - I don't blame you for being confused I meant IPM not PCM. An IPM [Integrated Power Module] and fusebox are the same thing. Apologies to the group - I've just had what politicians call a 'brain fart'.
What do the PCM and IPM control respectively

Old 05-19-2015, 03:50 PM

Yeh......Wined out...

Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by darkcild101
What do the PCM and IPM control respectively
On my 2005 the PCM is also the ECM ECU - they are all the same thing just different names my friend for engine control

( I invented this question ) What has parts darts from your #7 quote to do with this ?
Parts darts is what lazy ~ or inadequately skilled ~ or sometimes just frustrated engineers / technicians / mechanics do when they throw your money at their inadequacies in the hope only that they will get a 'bullseye' without any proof that that particular part will cure the problem. They change a $500 or £500 part without 1st proving the part is bad, when what the rule should be is """ if you can’t prove the part is bad, don’t replace it.”""" So don't just agree to the £500-£1500 gamble without first asking pointedly have you proved the PCM / IPM / FCM / ECU to be actually bad before you spend my money ? - after all it might just be, and often is, bad COMMS between the PCi and any of the PCM / IPM / FCM / ECU and no parts need to be replaced.

__________________________________________________ __________

The TCM and the TCU ECU - are all the same thing just different names my friend for transmission control

The IPM is a posh name for a fusebox and connects directly to the battery, as I said a crossroads, an exchange site for power distribution instructions, for example when you turn on your fog lights or number plate lights your switch sends a message to the IPM and the IPM relays the message to the light bulb. Its also well known for mysterious airbag non-deployment, fires, stalling, unintended acceleration, headlamp problems, damage to other components and subsequent lawsuits.

The IOD [fuse] in the IPM controls the digital clock, remote key fob, radio, heater, mirrors, central locking, power seat etc.

The FCM [front control module] is the alloy box mated to the front of the IPM, not connected directly to the battery but controls power to many of the GV's systems [we are in computer talk area now] what you need to know is the FCM interacts between the IPM and the PCi computer data BUS on the vehicle. If you want more on this specific read the workshop manual - its too long to post here, but to give you some idea of the complexity of the data it handles the following functions are controlled by the Front Control Module:

• Accessory Relay Actuation
• Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Functions (BTSI - gas engine only)
• Diesel Cabin Heater (Diesel Engine Vehicles)
• Electronic Back Light (EBL) Rear Defogger
• Front and Rear Blower Motor Relay Actuation
• Front Fog Lamp Relay Actuation
• Washer Motor (front and rear)
• Front Windshield Wiper HI & LO Relay Actuation
• Front Windshield Wiper ON Relay Actuation
• Headlamp Power with Voltage Regulation
• Horn Relay Actuation
• Headlamp Washer Relay Actuation (IF EQUIPPED - EXPORT ONLY)
• Name Brand Speaker (NBS) Relay Actuation
• Park Lamp Relay Actuation The following inputs are Received/Monitored by the Front Control Module:
• Ambient Temperature Sensing
• Back-Up switch
• Brake Fluid Level
• B+ Connection Detection
• Engine Crank Signal (Diesel Engine Vehicles)
• Horn Input
• Ignition Switch Start Only
• Ignition Switch Run and Start Only
• Stop Lamp Sense
• Washer Fluid Level
• Windshield Wiper Park

Finally as an example of why the IPM / FCM can influence seemingly unconnected bits of the GV lets look at probably the simplest, most schoolboy level part, the horn. you can see in the above pic that what people think of as a bog standard fusebox is in fact also part of a computer communications system.

Name:  wzsvI5R.png
Views: 148
Size:  76.5 KB

I hope this helps rather than confuses you darkcild101.

Last edited by QinteQ; 05-22-2015 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Insert pic & importance of FCM / PCi as part of IPM
Old 05-20-2015, 03:45 PM

On my 2005 the PCM is also the ECM ECU - they are all the same thing just different names my friend for engine control

The TCM and the TCU ECU - are all the same thing just different names my friend for transmission control

The IPM is a posh name for a fusebox and connects directly to the battery, as I said a crossroads, an exchange site for power distribution instructions, for example when you turn on your fog lights or number plate lights your switch sends a message to the IPM and the IPM relays the message to the light bulb. Its also well known for mysterious airbag non-deployment, fires, stalling, unintended acceleration, headlamp problems, damage to other components and subsequent lawsuits.

The IOD [fuse] in the IPM controls the digital clock, remote key fob, radio, heater, mirrors, central locking, power seat etc.

The FCM [front control module] is the alloy box mated to the front of the IPM, not connected directly to the battery but controls power to may of the GV's systems [we are in computer talk area now] what you need to know is the FCM interacts between the IPM and the PCi computer dat BUS on the vehicle. If yopu want more on this specific read the workshop manual - its too long to post here, but to give you some idea of the complexity of the data it handles t he following functions are controlled by the Front Control Module:

• Accessory Relay Actuation
• Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Functions (BTSI - gas engine only)
• Diesel Cabin Heater (Diesel Engine Vehicles)
• Electronic Back Light (EBL) Rear Defogger
• Front and Rear Blower Motor Relay Actuation
• Front Fog Lamp Relay Actuation
• Washer Motor (front and rear)
• Front Windshield Wiper HI & LO Relay Actuation
• Front Windshield Wiper ON Relay Actuation
• Headlamp Power with Voltage Regulation
• Horn Relay Actuation
• Headlamp Washer Relay Actuation (IF EQUIPPED - EXPORT ONLY)
• Name Brand Speaker (NBS) Relay Actuation
• Park Lamp Relay Actuation The following inputs are Received/Monitored by the Front Control Module:
• Ambient Temperature Sensing
• Back-Up switch
• Brake Fluid Level
• B+ Connection Detection
• Engine Crank Signal (Diesel Engine Vehicles)
• Horn Input
• Ignition Switch Start Only
• Ignition Switch Run and Start Only
• Stop Lamp Sense
• Washer Fluid Level
• Windshield Wiper Park

I hope this helps rather than confuses you darkcild101.
Thanks . You are a fountain of knowledge. Where are you based btw, I am planning to drive to London possibly in June and if you are along the way I could pay for a proper diagnostics on my car

Old 05-20-2015, 06:58 PM

Far too far I'm north east [very north seaboard] of England.

tfb is by a mile 'hands on' better than me, lives just north of London and works nights in London - link with him if he will - he's both a good spark & data chaser and has the same kit as me.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:27 AM

Far too far I'm north east [very north seaboard] of England.

tfb is by a mile 'hands on' better than me, lives just north of London and works nights in London - link with him if he will - he's both a good spark & data chaser and has the same kit as me.

Alright. I would be travelling down the A1/M1 from edinbugh via Berwick, Newcastle and so on you see

Old 05-21-2015, 01:27 PM

Nice one QinteQ. But for Darkcild A1 was a nice none stop road From Edinburgh to Dover but last time I went to Barnsley (two months ago) it was more a parking lot due to Motorway upgrade.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Nice one QinteQ. But for Darkcild A1 was a nice none stop road From Edinburgh to Dover but last time I went to Barnsley (two months ago) it was more a parking lot due to Motorway upgrade.
Agreed Goggsy the GNR is a pig and has been since the 80's. If you go south on the M6 or M1 with all their problems the are nothing compared to the A1, the last 1/3 of the Great North Rd is single lane - not even dual carriageway - let alone motorway. Its been promised every 5 years or so at election time since 1990 including the recent CON election. I don't know which side of this island darkcild101 lives but there are only two ways to the smoke and I would go M74 then 6's and M1 if I lived between Stirling and you. TBH I'd probably go chuffa train and car hire if I lived right over on the Fife or east Lothian side.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:29 PM

I am in Livingston , West Lothian, almost halfway between Glasgow and Edinburgh. Reason I plan to drive is its the cheapest option for 5 of us to travel and I was planning to travel after work and tnrough the night when hopefully roads are quieter

I plan to take my sons to Imperial War Museum and so on

Quick Reply: Needing to replace PCM...