Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

No throttle at all, Desperate!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Default No throttle at all, Desperate!!

2009 Town & Country. Its my daugters van and right now I dont know what engine. Gas pedal does nothing. Van will only idle. My son put a used throttle body in it and that did not help. I just dont think its the pedal but I dont know. NO CODES, NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. Bizzare. Dash has a red electrical symbol lighting. Could really use an answer. I have to drive the grandkids every day after work 50 mile round trip to football practice in my 6MPG F-250. Killing me.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:28 PM

Googled it. That red symbol means the electronic throttle control has a malfunction. Looks like a tow to a dealer. Should be something about it in your owners manual.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 08-03-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:12 AM

Looks like the usual "fly by wire" arrangement. Sometimes there is a potentiometer arrangement to measure the accelerator pedal angle, sometimes it's a bit more sophisticated with magneto-diodes They change their forward resistance as a magnet comes by. It could even be an infra-red opto coupler with a shutter operated by the pedal, but that's unlikely. The basic principle is that you communicate electrically in some way the power demand from your foot to the control microprocessor. It then carries out your order unless there is no command going to it. To be sure not to waste money with something you might just possibly fix yourself, I'd check out any electrical device operated by the pedal, look for corroded wiring, and esp. the terminals etc.

Leedsman.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:36 AM

Did figure out that the dash light is the ETC. Finally got a check engine and finally got a code. P0123. High voltage at the Throttle position sensor. Going to get my meter and check it out. No idea what to do about it. Where we live, there is no Chrysler dealer for 50 miles.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:45 AM

Thought it would be the pedal pos. sensor. (Always blame the sensor before the micro!)
It's probably a wirewound potentiometer whose winding has gone o/c resulting in the variable output voltage stuck high. The micro has sensed this and reverted to idle. Without this precaution, the engine would race until it destroyed itself.
If you have an electronics man in your town/village, or anyone you know into Chrysler/Jeeps, see if he can help. The part should be fairly easy to get at, and who knows, a Jeep one might fit?
Yours is a classic case of an electrical fault where a cheap digital voltmeter would be very handy. Then you could monitor the variable out put of it as you depressed the pedal. (ref. to ground of course). I saw a bubble-pack voltmeter in Leeds market the other day at a tenner.

Leedsman.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:46 PM

Engine is a 3.3 V6. Anyway, I get 5 volts going to the throttle position sensor with the key on yet the P0123 code reports high voltage. Daughter is stuck, cant go to work, cant do anything until we figure this out. Dealer is just not an option right now. Hope someone has a solution.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:17 PM

Make sure you test with the sensor connected so it has a power supply load. I have a reader but this £2GBP downloadable app on a phone / cell phone will read the whole voltage curve expressed in real time in volts or %. Give the wires attached to the TPS a tug about, plug and unplug for a better connection, and give the TPS body / can a knock while reading the voltage curve to see if any resistive spike issues are in the potentiometer itself. It should change [reduce] volts through the range.

You will need one of these to talk to your phone app.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
Make sure you test with the sensor connected so it has a power supply load. I have a reader but this £2GBP downloadable app on a phone / cell phone will read the whole voltage curve expressed in real time in volts or %. Give the wires attached to the TPS a tug about, plug and unplug for a better connection, and give the TPS body / can a knock while reading the voltage curve to see if any resistive spike issues are in the potentiometer itself. It should change [reduce] volts through the range.

You will need one of these to talk to your phone app.

I have checked it plugged and unplugged. I have checked the wire voltage upstream near the battery. We did change the throttle body entirely. I suppose there is a chance we got another bad one, or there wasnt anything wrong with the original. The Ebay device, interesting. Which one specifically?

Old 08-09-2013, 04:58 PM
Default Its FIXED!!!!

So, this post died without any solution... until now.

I trailered my daugters 2009 T&C to the Chrysler dealer. Turns out the throttle body needed to be "scanned" and calibrated. Maybe there was a problem with the old TB, maybe the computer just simply lost its calibration. She came up to a stop sign and all the sudden there was no more throttle at all. All I know is that it works now. The code (P0123) was a lie. Too much voltage from the throttle body yet the voltage was fine.

I would have bet money that the car did not know it got another throttle body. I get how a reostat works and all that but it does not seem like its that kind of part that identifies itself with a unique serial number or whatever. The actual throttle body has no "brain" in it. At any rate, you cant replace a throttle body and expect it to work on this vehicle. Must get the dealer scan thing.