Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

odometer & gear selector LEDs do not work on startup - 07 Town & Country

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 PM
Default odometer & gear selector LEDs do not work on startup - 07 Town & Country

I have recently purchased a 2007 Town & Country. I have an intermittent problem on startup, the odometer and gear selector LEDs do not light up. Sometimes they turn on after a minute or two, but today my wife drove it and the LEDs did not light up until she was almost home (about 10 miles). Most of the time they work as they should. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Old 07-14-2014, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hawgfan
I have recently purchased a 2007 Town & Country. I have an intermittent problem on startup, the odometer and gear selector LEDs do not light up. Sometimes they turn on after a minute or two, but today my wife drove it and the LEDs did not light up until she was almost home (about 10 miles). Most of the time they work as they should. Has anyone else ever heard of this?
Hawgfan,

I couldn't say for sure, however this sounds like a connection issue based on the symptoms you've described.
Have you noticed the lights turn on/off if you are driving over any bumps?
If needed, I would recommend getting your T&C over to a Chrysler Service Facility for an inspection.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 PM

Both are powered by the same internal circuit inside the instrument cluster and controlled by the data bus.

> You could try a data bus reboot by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. If your radio has a security code have that handy to reactivate the radio.
> Not sure if this works on an 07 but try a cluster self test. Hold in the **** on the cluster then turn the key to on. Within a few seconds the odometer should say Sof etc. Release the ****. The digits and indicators should cycle through a self test. Make sure the odometer and PRNDL work. This could reset a dodgy (yup that's a pun) circuit.
> If you're game you code remove the cluster and closely inspect for any bad solder joints on the circuit board.
> Could be a first sign of a weak battery. Make sure the connections are clean and tight. Have it load tested - free at most parts stores.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 07-15-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Default odometer & gear selector LEDs donot work on startup

Thanks for the replies. The answer to the problem was explained in the owners' manual. We have had a lot of rain here lately in western AR and I remembered that the LEDs did not work when I was using the wipers. The wipers on this vehicle also activate the headlamps, which also activate the dash lamps. One of the first settings I made when I drove this car was to turn the dash lamps to about 1/2 their brightest intensity, and when the headlamps are turned on during the day that makes the dash lamps appear to be off. So there is nothing wrong with anything, I just had not read that part of the manual yet. I will just get used to the dash lamps at their brightest setting and I will be able to read the gear selector during the day when the wipers are on. By the way, we both really like this van.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:32 PM

Like to hear those easy "fixes".