Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

That old battery question again!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Talking That old battery question again!

Sorry guy's if I've already asked this question! Or it's been covered before

I'm thinking of changing the battery on our 2007 year 2.8L XS diesel Van as it's starting to get a little slow on cold start up. I know there are these "Red Top" glass fibre (I think?) Batteries that cost around the 200 squid mark! I really don't want to spend that kinda money before Christmas! Can you guys, who have changed there's give me an idea of what I need to go for as to the correct size for the battery tray please?

I have a Costco card and I know they sell the Silver 5 year warranty ones! I haven't got the radio code! So is there a way of making sure I don't lose it on the replacement? Don't want to mess about with cutting or extending wires! So just a straight drop in (Plug & Play) is wht I could do with. Any help would be much appreciated...

Timski

Old 12-04-2014, 01:22 AM
tfb
Old 12-04-2014, 04:34 AM

Thanks Richard for the info. So the link you gave me just drops right into the original battery try without the need to alter? I've been reading the threads on here with great interest this morning! You guys really do know your stuff on the batteries. Also looked at the thread that mentioned the Odyssey 1500 that is about 250 quid! Not sure if it's worth spending that kinda money out! But we are going to be keeping the van for a long time. What's your thoughts?

Cheers

Old 12-04-2014, 05:15 AM

Your Enquiry

Thu 4th December 2014, 11:04Tim

Hi...

I have a Chrysler Grand Voyager 2.8L XS diesel (Reg number - LG56ZBT ) that I need a Optima battery for please? Can you tell me what one I need to just do a straight swop from the old one to the new one as I just want a straight forward change, without the need to alter the battery try. Also... What is the difference between the Red and Yellow Top batteries please?*

Kind Regards*
Tim

Thu 4th December 2014, 11:07Daniel Jones

Dear Tim,

Thanks for your enquiry.

We believe that the product you need is the RTS4.2 providing the terminal layout is the same. You can view this on our website if you*CLICK HERE. Please ensure that you compare dimensions and terminal layout (where the positive terminal is) before ordering.

The RedTop's are designed for starting only, and have a higher CCA rating, whereas the YellowTop's are designed to deep cycle like a leisure battery, and have a lower CCA.*

Many thanks,
Daniel

Add A Response*

Old 12-04-2014, 05:19 AM

Above is the question I asked Tayna Batteries this morning and there responce! So I'm a little confused now and don't want to spend out a load of wonga for the wrong one. Any ideas guys?

Old 12-04-2014, 07:36 AM

Copious amounts posted on here, Megga well thought through orders of magnitude to read already. I dislike Optima, tfb likes optima. Almost all non optima at 80/800 needs some hacking and cutting to accommodate the physical size. So if its a 'drop straight in' you are after get the red optima. Its worthy of note that :

- my dislike of optima stems initially from the price which was an over hyped £230+ in the day [only 4 years ago since they were available in the UK]
- which was the same price as a proper battery - the
PC1500DT PC1500DT
- CCA 1500 / Ah of 62
- its now half of its original overpriced cost for the same CCA 815 / Ah of only 50

..................... and talking of it now being half the price, it's claimed that recent manufactured Optima's seem to have an issue, the originally made red tops had a lifespan of about 6 years, the more recent made ones seem to be dying at 2 to 3 years - how much of that is 'forum folklore' is for an individual to decide.

> more thoughts <

Even the the PC1500DT has a crap Ah along with the Optima RT S 4,2 although the red top claims to be capable of charging at 13.3 to 15.0 volts; with no amperage limit as long as battery temperature remains below 50°C [125°F], and will charge until current drops below 1 amp. You should always use a voltage regulated charger with voltage limits, all limits must be strictly adhered to. :

Alternator: ........ .. .... 13.3 to 15.0 volts; no amperage limit
Battery Charger: .. .. .. 13.8 to 15.0 volts; 10 amps maximum; 6-12 hours approximate
Float Charge: .. ... .. .. 13.2 to 13.8 volts; 1 amp maximum current [indefinite time at lower voltages]
Rapid Recharge: ......... [Constant voltage charger] Maximum voltage 15.6 volts. No current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 50°C (125°F). Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

It is what it is, at this level you do get what you pay for. The PC1500DT is a two belts and three pairs of braces job for people who need that level of starting security. NOTE you would still have to have it in regular use to keep it charged or have give it an umbilical link to a good quality maintenance [not trickle] charger.

Last edited by QinteQ; 12-11-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: > more thoughts <
Old 12-04-2014, 10:04 AM
tfb

The AGM spiral wound batteries can provide a very large rush of current for cranking but have little reserve power.

If i had the space i'd fit a sodding great truck battery in the voyager, but alas it's limited. Cranking speed is vital for a diesel, the higher the speed the hotter the air gets in the cylinder and easier it is to start.

The 50ah capacity of the red top is ridiculously small for all the electrical items on a voyager. but it's what we have to live.

Regards
Richard

Old 12-04-2014, 07:24 PM

Cheers guys for the responces. I was wondering Richard about the choice of the Red top batteries! As the one you gave the link for is different to what the supplier is saying! Which one do I go for here? Which one are you using in the Van?

cheers

Old 12-15-2014, 04:49 PM

Hi! I had a red top, the plates are in coils (spiral wound) but I had all sorts of trouble although the Optima would test OK it would not do the job under load. So I bought a flat plate AGM battery - about twice the plate area of a "normal" wet battery (even the one Richard would like). Not cheap, but no more cold weather starting problems either. You could charge the Optima battery overnight and it simply would not hold the charge. The best battery I could find is the ODYSSEY AGM it even fits into the GV Battery tray!!! I was always worrying about starting (I thought the starter was bad, or perhaps the glow plugs) and finally gave up and bought a decent battery - there are lots of electronics and interior light bulbs, after all - no looking back since!

So Richard is right, the Optima does not really cut it, but the Odyssey is brilliant - even so, I have been changing out incandescent light bulbs for LEDs, but that' another story...

Last edited by vrc8883; 12-15-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added a thought
Old 12-15-2014, 06:22 PM

ODYSSEY batteries are amazingly good, but also amazingly expensive (at least for motorcycles) which type Odyssey you got? and may I ask what did it cost?

Quick Reply: That old battery question again!