Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Omg what a dumb .... !!! Help !! Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Default Omg what a dumb .... !!! Help !! Thread

OMG I cant believe I was such a dumb %$@ and did what I did. Now I need your help in locating the problem.

2000 Town and Country 3.8

I took the plenum etc .. off to get to the plugs and wires and upon re-assemble I did the stupidest thing ever !!

When hooking the ground strap to the fire wall I gave it a snug turn and popped off the bolt that holds the ground on....
So my genius'ness told me to strap the strap directly to the alternator + terminal that I hadn't put a bolt on yet !!!
OMG WHAT A DUMB %#@ ... I know ... I know ..

So I plugged battery in and bam a spark !! so I thought WTF !! so I looked around and boom I see I forgot to tighten two
other ground wires ... BUT ------ > I don't know why it wouldn't have spark in that location rather than somewhere else !!
OMG WHAT A DUMB #@^ !! .. So I again placed the battery terminal on and SPARK AGAIN !! (say it) .. The ground strap
had completely burned in half by the time I could yank off the terminal .. When I was scrambling to get terminal off I also
heard a weird clicking noise.. almost like the pendulum ***** (or whatever they are called ) that swing back and forth and
the ends just keep bouncing...

I continued to put everything back and now it runs like crap.. obviously

here's what I did -

Unplugged each spark plug to test if effected idle .. also stuck a screw driver in the tip to check spark .. nice and healthy in day
light.. so each one unplugged separately effected it all the same at idle ..

Next I unplugged injector 1 and it did nothing as far as idle .. repeated steps for the next two and noticed that when unplugging
the first two it did nothing .. when unplugging the third I disrupted idle ..

check injectors with a multi all read the same... same for the wires ..

I replaced the first two anyway and still same prob ..

when I accelerate it sputters like a misfire .. runs rough .. if I unplug the first two injectors and drive it runs low power but runs
way smoother ..

no fuses blown either ..

Any clue to what this guy might have screwed up ?

Aside from going to u-pull it and just buying a new ecu could I be missing anything else ?? do they have a separate box for fuel injection ?

Last edited by dedwardk; 04-28-2013 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:09 PM

ehhh my god ..

I had a spark plug wire in the wrong place

runs great highway .. just has a high idle now