Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Opps!! smoke from under the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Default Opps!! smoke from under the car

Hi guys.I have a 2.5CDR Grang Voyager on a 2001 plate. I have noticed that when I parked the car today there was smoke coming from underneaththe car, when I looked it seemed to be coming from a pipe or venton theleft hand side,

PS this also happend a few weeks ago and im not sure if it is a coinsidense but on both ocasions i had the heater on.

I drove the car home and it was fine when i got home 10 mins later (heater off)

Any Ideas???

Old 11-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Default RE: Opps!! smoke from under the car

ORIGINAL: TheNostradamus

Hi guys.I have a 2.5CDR Grang Voyager on a 2001 plate. I have noticed that when I parked the car today there was smoke coming from underneaththe car, when I looked it seemed to be coming from a pipe or venton theleft hand side,

PS this also happend a few weeks ago and im not sure if it is a coinsidense but on both ocasions i had the heater on.

I drove the car home and it was fine when i got home 10 mins later (heater off)

Any Ideas???
You're obviously new to these as well (I've only had mine for a week) - I found it rather un-nerving when I first saw this, but it's an auxiliary heater on the diesel engine versions to help it warm up more quickly. It only comes on when it's cold and when the heater is turned up to maximum. I first noticed mine on a first journey and when I stopped, I could hear a very faint high pitched whine, which continues for a short while after the ignition is switched off.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:57 AM

Hi

Im new owner of Chrysler Voyager. I did experience this as well. You find in the operating information book on page87 all you need to know.I must say when I saw this fumes made me thing that my car start burning!!!. False allarm!!!! KInd regards Ninny

Old 11-21-2008, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: ninny

Hi

Im new owner of Chrysler Voyager. I did experience this as well. You find in the operating information book on page87 all you need to know.I must say when I saw this fumes made me thing that my car start burning!!!. False allarm!!!! KInd regards Ninny
Pheww!! "wipes brow"

I dont have the operating book at the moment, so can i ask, is the aux heater diesel or electric and how do I stop the smoke being so bad/thick, i need to ask as the weather is getting colder over here and i need to do some driving..

Apprecciated...

Old 11-21-2008, 02:03 PM

I don't think you have any control other than whether it's going to switch itself on or not. Basically, if it's cold and you switch the heater to hot, then the auxilliary heater will switch on and stay on for a few minutes, even if you turn the engine off. It seems to me that the way to stop it kicking in is to not quite switch the heater to hot until the engine has warmed up.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 PM

Sorry to get off topic, those with the Diesels, what mileage do you get. Was not aware that chrysler made these w/ diesel.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:45 AM

Hi It doesn’t come on when it’s over 15c outsideor when less then 1/8 of a tank of fuel or when the inside temp is higher then the set point. Other then that it will run for 5 minutes on every run

Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: TheNostradamus

I dont have the operating book at the moment, so can i ask, is the aux heater diesel or electric and how do I stop the smoke being so bad/thick, i need to ask as the weather is getting colder over here and i need to do some driving..

Apprecciated...
if the smoke is too thick and too smelly, check the air intake.

i haven't seen that system at crysler vehicles but I presume it's a normal webasto heater. they usualy make a lot of smoke when there is not enough air.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: mrfixit454

Sorry to get off topic, those with the Diesels, what mileage do you get. Was not aware that chrysler made these w/ diesel.
On a steady run at 70mph, using cruise control most of the time, I was getting around 45mpg (that's UK gallons). Around urban run, it's looking more like it's going to be 30-35mpg - I think that's pretty good for a 2 ton vehicle

Thanks (again) Merlin for explaining more accurately the auxiliary heater - do you know how much fuel it burns in 5 minutes? Also, any idea where the intake filter is? Sounds like something I need to check.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: mrfixit454

Could the Diesel be a UK/Europe engine only - I went for a diesel for both the fuel economy, but also because I've seen a couple of adverts selling used models with 300,000 miles on them, so they look like a very long-lived engine.

Quick Reply: Opps!! smoke from under the car