Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opps!! smoke from under the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:30 AM

Thank goodness I found this forum as I was wondering what the hell it was when I seen steam/smoke coming from under the rear passenger door lol but I do have an issue of losing coolant/anti-freeze at the minute, losing about 3 litres a day so always having to top up before I go out. had green flag recovery have a look and he thinks it is the water pump but not sure, he didn't do a compression test so I guess I will need to try and have a look.
where would this aux heater thing be located? I have a 2002 2.5CRD grand voyager ltd

Old 11-26-2014, 12:41 PM

Take the oil cap off and see if it looks like mayo on the cap. Is the engine oil brown milky? Could be a HG fail. The Webasto heater is approx under the drivers seat. Depending on the year it will either have a long or short exhaust pipe on it.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:15 PM

oil looks normal, there is one thing I forgot to mention that might shed light on things, when I start the car first thing in the morning I do get 10 seconds of lots of smoke coming out of the exhaust, colour of smoke is more blue than white but after a few seconds there is never any smoke at all, even if I go out later in the day and car is cold again I get no smoke. something is leaking though for sure because there is always a small puddle at the front of car. I have a feeling that I might have to try and get a loan to get this issue fixed as I am skint lol but would love to tackle it myself

Old 11-26-2014, 01:17 PM

Auxiliary Heater is under the front passenger seat on uk models and drivers seat US + Europe left hand drive models. Aux Heater Exhaust pipe on my 2003 2.5CRD Ltd is overall 950mm long so is may reach under rear seats. But between exhaust steel pipe and Aux heater there is a connecting flexy pipe and this may leak fumes of coolant. If it leaks coolant at flexy, Aux Heater heat exchanger is fractured and needs removed.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:19 PM

I've run across these on Chevy E3500 shuttle busses... if you're losing fluid that fast, I'd check that heater.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:24 PM

Thank you, at least now I know where to have a look tomorrow, if it is the heater that has a crack then I am guessing this could be rather expensive

Old 11-26-2014, 01:32 PM

The heat exchanger bit has been on sale in Flee-bay in the past but heater may require servicing incase fuel burning jet is cause of fracture.

Attached Thumbnails  Opps!! smoke from under the car-car-webasto-heater.jpg  

Last edited by goggs; 11-26-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Adding Picture.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:55 PM

Here's heat exchanger where fuel flame burns into.
And the firing head.

Attached Thumbnails  Opps!! smoke from under the car-aux-heater-4.jpg    Opps!! smoke from under the car-aux-heater-5.jpg  
Old 11-26-2014, 02:04 PM

cant use the links, think I am still waiting for my forum account to be fully activated

Old 11-26-2014, 02:04 PM

Daniel Williamson, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Quick Reply: Opps!! smoke from under the car