Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overhead Console "Perform Service"

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:50 PM
Default Overhead Console "Perform Service"

Hi,
Have a 2001 T&C Limited FWD. The Overhead console reads "Perform Service" when I start the van. Tried to find the answer in the owners manual but to no avail.

What does it mean and what do I need to do... Thanks

oh ya in a previous thread I asked for advice on getting my rear wiper and washer to work again, it just stopped. Could the "Perform Service" be for the wiper not working?

Thanks,
Wes

Old 02-27-2008, 02:48 AM
Default RE: Overhead Console "Perform Service"

Hi, Although new to the Voyager scene (5 days now!) I can help with this one... just re set it this morning! I am not near my car so this is just from memory so sorry if it sounds a bit long winded!

If you press the menu button and cycle through until it comes to the service interval mileage, then press the button on the right hand side of the display and scroll through to the desired service interval mileage. Then go back to the menu button and press until it says something like reset service (its self explanatory when you see it). Again go back to the button on the right and press it until the display says YES. Go back to the menu and scroll slowly until the display goes blank. Leave the buttons alone and the display will return to normal. The perform service message should have now disappeared on start up.
Cheers Mark

Old 02-27-2008, 03:10 AM

Sorry Wes... just seen the wiper fault on your post, no the service message is not related to your fault.

I am presuming you have checked the wiper fuse already...

I would first use two fingers and flick the wiper switch on and off several times (with the ignition on). If the switch has not been used for some time the terminals inside the switch can gunk up, especially if someone has used spray shine on the dash! This is quite common in all cars. If this does not work then leave the switch on (ignition still on) and try and move the wiper arm by hand (be carefulin caseit starts unexpectedly). All wiper motors have a "park switch" which powers the wiper back to its resting place, this can be seen when you turn wipers off mid wipe. The park switch gives the motor power that you removed when you turned thewipers off. Sometimes they stick and need a little wiggle or a bang on the tailgate. If this does not work then it could be a broken wire in the loom through the tailgate. Usually by the hinge as this is constantly bending and causes wires to break. I am not sure if the power is stopped when the tailgate opens by the switch that makes the interior lights come on (I presume the car has a switch there). Again with the ignition and wiper switch on I would open the tailgate up and down and see if the "broken" wire makes contact. You might have to get someone to keep the light button pressed in by hand if this has a power stop function.
After all these simple quick checks it still does no work then remove the cover and see if you have any loose wires, bad earths etc. Failing that take it to a local auto electrician!
Hope this makes sense... or even helps

Cheers Mark

Old 02-27-2008, 06:37 AM

The "Perform Service" is a reminder to change your oil and do any other interval service required. Keep up on the maintenence to help prevent breakdowns.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 AM

Right on guy's. I took the back off yesterday and tried to follow the wire and it seemed to be in good shape. I thought I might and try and replace the motor. The washer doesn't work too, does the rear wiper motor power the washer? If it doesn't I won't waist my time replacing it. Thanks again

Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM

does the rear wiper motor power the washer?

No or else each time you switch the wipers on the washers will squirt constantly.
I would not advise you just swap parts for the sake of it. If you are not mechanically or electrically minded then leave well alone. It will work out cheaper to get an auto electrician to check and locate the fault (NOT the dealers!!!).

Have you tried seeing if there is power getting to the connection at the wiper motor with a test lamp or bulb? You need to start at the basics first before you even think of wasting your money changing expensive parts that are not needed. Did you do the few simple checks I mentioned in my first post? These cost nothing and are part of the checking process? Another thing to check is the wiper relay in the fuse box. Again with the ignition and wiper switch on tap the relay with the plastic handle of a screwdriver. If the connections are stuck or dirty the shock can make a good contact and start them working again. Alternatively find a matching relay in the fuse box and swap it to see if it works.

Cheers Mark

Old 02-29-2008, 06:23 PM

The back windshield wiper is now WORKING!!!! All I had to do was take off the battery cable for a few minutes and walla!! Forgot all about the trick.

Also ran my vin on the Chrysler Website and I have no outstanding recalls....

Thanks guys for all your help.