Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Power but won't start

Old 08-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Default Power but won't start

Hi guys my name is Brian a d I have a 2005 town and country 3.3. Came home for lunch today and couldn't get back to work because it wouldn't start. When I turn the key, I get nothing. No click. No nothing. I have checked all the fuses, made sure it was in Park but still nothing. My lights come on fine. One thing I noticed was that my gas Guage doesn't show how much gas I have when I turn the key on. Can someone help me few to work tomorrow please

Old 08-24-2016, 07:04 AM

Could be security and key related. Do you have a spare key to try. Can you get to starter motor to check if there's power going to the starter coil when key turned. Answers here would help.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:47 AM

No I do not have a safe key. I did lock the car with the remote and unlock with the key and that didn't work. I took the starter off and took it to be checked and it checked out fine however I do not kno how to check to be sure power is there when the key is turned

Old 08-24-2016, 12:57 PM

There's a wire going onto the coil of the starter motor well that's the positive power soarce. Neg/earth goes through engine to battery via engine to body earth cable. Check out this cable too. So with key turned there should be 12v at coil cable. If not further checks required.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:49 PM

I've had similar with a kia before, I wiggled the negative battery lead and it cleared it.
Long shot, but worth a try.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:23 PM

Ok I put the starter r back in and have constant voltage on the battery cable size cable on the starter. The smaller cable never had any voltage on it when the key was turned to the start position. I have never had any problems like this before and can figure it out

Old 08-24-2016, 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=Brian7743;96973]Ok I put the starter r back in and have constant voltage on the battery cable size cable on the starter. The smaller cable never had any voltage on it when the key was turned to the start position. I also put power to the smaller wire on the starter with the key on and the starter cranked over but the motor didn't start like it had no power to the coil

Old 08-24-2016, 10:36 PM

Ok I used the small wire on the starter to crank the motor over with the key on but it didn't start. Like there was no power to the coil.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:18 PM

Well that shows between key and starter there is a fault that also does not allow engine to fire up. And wait fuel gauge not operating. Just a thought here have you did a reset by disconnecting the negative cable and reconnecting after 20 mins. I'm thinking relay here that goes click when turning key and you don't have it. Nice learning curve this.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:40 PM

I have an update as to exactly what is happening. After hooking up the battery that has been charging for a couple hours, I tried to start the vehicle, all the dash lights came on and the gages pegged out to the max and went back down. The engine light went out and came back on the red light to the top right of the speedometer stayed on. The car still didn't crank. I manually cranked the starter over with a jumper and it still didn't start telling me no power to the coil. I am about to call a locksmith and have a new key programmed. I don't know what else to try.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power but won't start