Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Default Problem with Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror

I have a 2011 Town & Country Touring L with the auto dimming feature.
It has a power button on the rearview mirror to enable auto dimming. When powered, it features a green indicator that stays on. When powered. if it senses bright lights, it dims the drivers and rear view mirrors.

My problem is: The green light indicator light turns on and off all the time. If I press the power button, it automatically dims. If I press the button again, the dim goes away. Pressing that power button does not make the green indicator stay on. It continues to blink on and off.

Anyone have any idea what mighty be the problem??

Thank you in advance.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Automatic Dimming Mirror. This mirror automatically adjusts for headlight glare from vehicles behind you. You can turn the feature on or off by pressing the button at the base of the mirror. A light to the left of the button will illuminate to indicate when the dimming feature is activated. The sensor to the right of the button does not illuminate.

(If your vehicle is equipped with the Driver’s Automatic Dimming Mirror)The driver’s outside mirror will automatically adjust for glare from vehicles behind you. This feature is also controlled by the inside automatic dimming mirror and can be turned on or off by pressing the button at the base of the inside mirror. The mirror will automatically adjust for headlight glare when the inside mirror adjusts.

There are no listed technical service bulletins that address any issue with the rearview mirror.

If you feel that there is a problem with the mirror or dimmer system I would certainly suggest having your local dealer take a look and verify its operating properly.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 PM

We too have same make and model of car and are experiencing same issue. Although I'm not happy with the problem on our car w/ only 410 miles - it did appreciate seeing something in forum.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:27 AM
Default blinking green light on new auto dimming mirror

Anybody figure this out?

The problem is the green light continuously blinks on and off, no matter what.

Otherwise everything works fine

I work for a rent a car company and have been trying to figure this out. I go to other vans with it and the green light is solid when it's on, and off when it is off. But some vans (this one with a problem has only 66 engine hours and like 1300 miles), I've noticed it on 2 vans so far, the green light always blinks no matter what and its kind of annoying/distracting to the driver.

I guess a quick fix would be to cut off a small square peice of black electrical tape and cover it up.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:37 PM

The switch on the automatic dimming inside rear view mirror provides the vehicle operator with a manual control of whether the automatic dimming feature is operational. When AUTO is selected, a green Light-Emitting Diode (LED) indicator to the right of the mirror switch is illuminated. However, if the mirror is tuned OFF manually, the LED indicator is extinguished. However, the mirror will always turn back ON by default at the onset of a new ignition ON cycle. The automatic dimming mirror circuitry also senses the backup lamp circuit, and will automatically disable its self-dimming feature whenever the transmission gear selector is in the REVERSE position.
The ambient photocell sensor of the mirror faces forward, to detect the outside light levels through the windshield glass. A second headlamp photocell sensor is located just to the left of the mirror switch and facing rearward, to detect the light level received at the rear window side of the mirror. When the mirror control circuitry detects that the difference between the two sensed light levels has become too great (the light level received at the rear of the mirror is much higher than that at the front of the mirror) the mirror begins to darken. A thin layer of electrochromic material between two pieces of conductive glass make up the face of the mirror.
On vehicles equipped with an optional driver side automatic dimming outside rear view mirror, the signal to control the dimming of that mirror is generated by the automatic dimming inside rear view mirror circuitry. That signal is then delivered to the driver side outside rear view mirror on two hard wired circuits.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:20 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Nothing has been said, however, why the green light on the mirror of some vans continually blinks on and off, no matter what.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 PM

I recently took my van to the dealer for a starting problem.
I mentioned that the rear view mirror would blink and how it is very annoying.

The dealership completed all repairs.
They tried to reprogram the auto dimming mirror and said that it would not take the reprogramming. They ended up replacing the mirror and everything is now working.

Jessech

Last edited by Jessech; 04-27-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:54 PM
Default Auto dim and UConnect

I'm also having an issue with my 06 T&C. Nothing happens when I press the button for auto dim, and the UConnect feature on the mirror does not work either. Neither my owners manual or my Haynes manual mentions a fuse for the rear view mirror and I assume this is the problem since nothing on the mirror works. I saw an earlier post that said the fuse for the mirror is #18, but my owner's manual says that fuse is for the AC clutch. I hate to take it to the dealer, because I know they're going to say the entire mirror is bad then try to rip me off for $400 for a new one. Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Wiring diagram isn't showing a fuse on an 06. It's powered by the BCM under the dash. Could try a reset by pulling the IOD fuse for 5 minutes.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 04-01-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 AM
Default auto dim mirror

What is the IOD fuse and where is it located? Thanks

Quick Reply: Problem with Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror