Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Random noise, strain, rare grinding in steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Default Random noise, strain, rare grinding in steering

Hey guys, I've got a 2004 T&C that I got used from a dealer who apparently likes to pull shady moves every so often... if you're not buying new, they like to every so often mess with the vehicle so that you have to pay more to have whatever issue fixed. And I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

Anyway. When I got this van, the dealer assured me that many things had been done to the vehicle before they acquired it on a trade-in: new AC, new power steering, new brakes, and new tires. So far, the only thing that's actually proven itself is the tires. My concern is this odd noise that occurs, seemingly at random. It seems to happen more when it's humid, but it's happened in all types of weather conditions. My first thought was the alternator, but it doesn't seem to have any power drop aside from the clutch engaging and disengaging, and no accessories or features seem to be affected by this.

Here's what happens. When the vehicle has been sitting for any length of time, and I turn it on and begin steering, there's a tremendous groan from the engine, but nothing seems to be malfunctioning. The RPMs don't drop, no lights go off, but (I believe it's) the power steering starts groaning. I've checked the fluid at different intervals to see if there's a temperature-induced drop, but nothing. No leaks. At least three times since I checked the fluid level visually, there seems to be a tremendous strain, and groan/rattle (best way I can describe it) that won't go away until I return the steering to its neutral location a few times. The steering in these instances seems to hit some sort of barrier preventing it from turning more than a little bit. There are no obstacles that I can tell that would prevent it from working.

The groan seems to disappear after a period, varying in length, but once the engine reaches normal operating temperature it seems to get the kinks out. If I shut off the engine for even five minutes, the groan returns, albeit at a lesser power and duration.

I really don't want to have to replace my power steering pump, since to what I've read on the pump instructions this includes also replacing every single hose and tube, since they rot from the inside out. This also has the possibility of replacing the power steering reservoir, and/or screen. None of these, I feel capable of doing.

I thought there may have been something in the reservoir catching or getting otherwise lodged in the screen inside, but I can't think of any way to check this. Foreign bodies are my best hope currently. Thanks for any help you guys can offer me.

TLR - very odd power steering noise that I can't explain.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:46 PM

My first thought was the pump itself. I therefore think my first step would be to have a pressure test carried out. Any local garage should be able to do this. As for changing all of the hoses thats a rarity unless your van has like 300,000 miles on it or has been neglected.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:51 PM

Yes lets go pump or slack belt...

Old 07-11-2016, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
Yes lets go pump or slack belt...
Slack belt? Can you elaborate a bit please?

Old 07-23-2016, 07:48 PM

So I was able to get my van into my mechanic (after draining out the PS reservoir and filling that with a bottle of Lucas power-steering fluid and leak stop) and he found the problem: a leak in the PS pressure line between the pump and the R&P assembly. The bottle of Lucas seems to have helped stop the leak for now, but I'll be wanting to get this fixed before the weather gets too cold. Figured I'd update anyone reading this who encountered the same issue. Thanks for y'alls help.

EDIT: Figured I'd jump back on and let everyone know that I got (at least this issue) taken care of. He replaced not only the high pressure line but also the return line. There still seems to be a bit of a groan at times, but not as bad.

@goggs, can you please explain the belt possibility a bit more? I nosed around but was unable to see any sort of belt that would lead to this issue.

Last edited by ghost55768; 08-08-2016 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Repaired, kind of